An article I wrote about my R7 experience

On the day the warranty was due to run out on my R7, I received an email from Canon Repair. It noted that I had reported dissatisfaction with the repair work done and offered to take a look at the camera again. I imagine this resulted from the survey I filled out upon finding the first attempt at a fix had not done the job. They sent an overnight label for shipping and I jumped on it. This time, I was much more detailed in my description of the problem. In fact, I repeated the description four different ways to get the point across and sent a copy of that with the camera. It got there Friday. I'm waiting to see what they say this time. I have to say, I am impressed with their responsiveness to my complaints. They will truly impress me if the problem is solved.
I should add that the problem seemed to be getting worse lately but that was just an impression.
Good luck, Fred. Have you tried bringing your camera store into the loop? I hope you have one as supportive as mine.

The store is Hunt's in Massachusetts. They are very supportive but the problem showed up after the return period had expired. Hopefully Canon will get it right this time.

The store is Hunt's in Massachusetts. They are very supportive but the problem showed up after the return period had expired. Hopefully Canon will get it right this time.
Oh, it is the same as mine. I am not sure when the return period expires, they took mine after six months.

I didn't ask them to take it back. It started out very intermittently and I procrastinated too long.

Thank you. My luck with Canon has always been good but who knows?

I may have lucked out this time. The representative left this voicemail yesterday as I was out of range in the mountains. (sic) "my name is Leo I'm calling with the canon service center I'm calling in regards to your R7. I've been in touch with you over the email and on a previous phone call him so I just wanted to let you know that the camera repair has been completed they were able to replicate the issue and they were able to find that the main circuitboard was causing an issue so the technician did replace that circuitboard and as well as he did replace the top cover as well just in case if that was causing any issues in the bottom of the top cover _⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_ so he did both of those parts for the cameras ready to be shipped."
I received tracking notice for a return delivery tomorrow. Hopefully the problem is solved.

I may have lucked out this time. The representative left this voicemail yesterday as I was out of range in the mountains. (sic) "my name is Leo I'm calling with the canon service center I'm calling in regards to your R7. I've been in touch with you over the email and on a previous phone call him so I just wanted to let you know that the camera repair has been completed they were able to replicate the issue and they were able to find that the main circuitboard was causing an issue so the technician did replace that circuitboard and as well as he did replace the top cover as well just in case if that was causing any issues in the bottom of the top cover _⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_ so he did both of those parts for the cameras ready to be shipped."
I received tracking notice for a return delivery tomorrow. Hopefully the problem is solved.
Good news indeed. I hope it all ends here and you enjoy your gear.

Thank you. We're heading for Montana with it eventually so we'll see how it goes.

Well, the camera came back and still has the same problem. I'm starting to wonder if my karma is particularly poor right now. I have informed Canon. My greatest fear is that all of the R7 bodies will do this when set up to my particular methods. The R5 has had no problems such as this.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back