Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Jim Cassidy
City/State
Central Pennsylvania
Having been on an upgrade cycle of 7 to 8 years, I confess that I am likely to purchase an R5 Mark II on introduction after having my R5 for a year and half. That'll be two firsts for me: upgrading after only 1 1/2 years, and buying a camera at intro. Of course, this is depending on an actual release and the final specifications of the camera.

I love my R5 and plan to keep it as a second body. There are a couple of features though that just keep tugging me down the road to upgrade:
  1. Pre-buffer shooting. I always miss birds launching by a hair and would like to take photos of lightning. In sports, I have a good sense for the moment of the action, this can only help.
  2. Auto-focus improvements, especially QPAF and low light AF. The R5 is fantastic, but it does hunt in low light and improvements in the R6 II and R8 AF have been lauded. I admit, this is a weakness of mine and I can use all the help that I can get.
  3. Increased resolution/size of viewfinder and display. My eyes just ain't what they used to be. My unicorn is the articulating viewfinder.
  4. Multi-function hot shoe. My old flashes suffice, but the incompatibility moving forward is frustrating.
  5. Stacked sensor... dynamic range... improved low light image quality. No complaints in my R5, but can you imagine it being better!

I'd like to know what other folks think about the Mark II... should the February announcement actually occur. I think it will. What features do or don't matter to you?

If its anything like the RF200-800 then order as soon as it is announced, you may get it sometime in 2027 if you are very lucky. :)

If its anything like the RF200-800 then order as soon as it is announced, you may get it sometime in 2027 if you are very lucky. :)
All good things to those who wait!
I got my 200-800 within 10 days of deciding to buy one albeit only a month or so ago. Let others rush in and buy the new releases, sit back , wait for the appraisals then decide if you want one.That's what I'm going to do. Besides the price will come down a few weeks after release depending where you buy from..

I got on a list the day before the announcement in the US and it took about 5 months for the 200-800mm, and I was 3rd on the list at my shop. That said, I could find them on websites in the EU and Oz for the last 3 of those months on the regular (not willing to pay more plus shipping), so I'm not sure what the complaint is over there. They're literally hens teeth in the US, still, but if you look at the 200-800mm thread you'll see folks elsewhere saying they can just walk into a shop.

That said, I had my shop put me down for the R5ii months ago, which is one of the nice things about dealing with a smaller shop - I will likely get one from the first batch. I didn't have to put a deposit down, and if I don't take it (I'm under no obligation) there's the next guy on the list who will. I admit to snoozing on the 200-800mm and should have moved on first rumor, but I know the manufacturing process for bodies and glass is different enough to expect longer waits on lenses.

If you know you want one find a place that will take your name now, even if it requires a refundable deposit. Chip manufacturing is still the pain point in everything Canon is making, but I suspect the R5's will flow much more quickly than a consumer lens - albeit with a MUCH higher demand.

I thought the R5MkII was going to be DPAF, not QPAF.
If it is QPAF that will be great. I have that on my OM-1. The AF on that camera is better than the R5. (I have both)

I thought the R5MkII was going to be DPAF, not QPAF.
If it is QPAF that will be great. I have that on my OM-1. The AF on that camera is better than the R5. (I have both)
Can you describe a specific circumstance where the focus ability of the OM-1 is superior to that of the R5?

I think there is a whole lotta smoke about QPAF and the R5MkII...

Can you describe a specific circumstance where the focus ability of the OM-1 is superior to that of the R5?

I think there is a whole lotta smoke about QPAF and the R5MkII...
Anecdotally, I shoot Eagles at Conowingo Dam. I take my R5 with the RF 100-500 and my OM-1 with the 150-400 f/4.5TC. The hit rate on the OM-1 is greater than with the R5.

for David.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM + EXTENDER RF1.4x
  • 661.0 mm
  • ƒ/10
  • 1/2000 sec
  • ISO 1000

Eagle-2.jpg
  • OM-1MarkII
  • OLYMPUS M.150-400mm F4.5
  • 400.0 mm
  • ƒ/4.5
  • 1/2500 sec
  • ISO 200

To be fair you are using a 1.4TC on the 100-500 which will slow it down considerably. The the TC off and you have 500mm and 45mp to play with. The OM 1 might have 800mm of lens but only 20mp for cropping. It's an approximately even match.
I do think that the R5 struggles on occasion when you have a cluttered background but in open sky it doesn't miss.
_G7A0478 copy.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM
  • 500.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/8000 sec
  • ISO 3200

I was out photographing the local Peregrines again the other day and I locked on and stayed locked on for around 30 shots for this low fly past
_G7A0255 copy.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • 500.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/4000 sec
  • ISO 2000

Whereas my friend failed with his R7.
We both got a full sequence of the second fly past and because he has the extra 1.6 crop sensor his best image was more pleasing than mine as it was further away so more of a coming towards us POV.

That said I'm seeing some great OM-1 flight shots but I'm hearing what I have suggested. The images don't stand up to much cropping. Total heresy of course, you have the hands on experience @RedCobra

_G7A0606 copy.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • 500.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/2500 sec
  • ISO 2000

@RedCobra You have added the OM Eagle shot which wasn't there when I posted my comment.
Let's be fair, the Eagle is probably a lot closer and a sky shot which is pretty easy.

@RedCobra You have added the OM Eagle shot which wasn't there when I posted my comment.
Let's be fair, the Eagle is probably a lot closer and a sky shot which is pretty easy.
Eagle shot was heavil;y cropped.
original eagle for web.jpg
  • OM-1MarkII
  • OLYMPUS M.150-400mm F4.5
  • 400.0 mm
  • ƒ/4.5
  • 1/2500 sec
  • ISO 200

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back