tpatana

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Tero Patana
Show of hands, who's planning to buy one and what's your reason over other great bodies like R3 or basically any other RF body?

Or are you still waiting to hear the price before deciding?

For me, I'm fairly certain I'll get one since I shoot lot of sports and my current combo R5+1DX(1) would greatly improve by having two modern mirrorless bodies. The shooting itself wouldn't justify the price I'm expecting but luckily my day job helps to offset any costs I have to put towards the gear.

Most likely I'll pre-order as soon as possible since I have big tournament in July. Hoping to get one for me before all the Olympics shooters snatch all the inventory.

I've shot with R3 and I know I'll love it. Just very curious to see what R1 ends up being since it's difficult to think what they could really improve besides some minor items.

I've shot with R3 and I know I'll love it. Just very curious to see what R1 ends up being since it's difficult to think what they could really improve besides some minor items.
Many years ago on another forum, someone was feeling great about the gear they had and saying that it was hard to believe how it could possibly be improved. Some of us thought about it and it wasn't at all obvious what the advances might be. But today we see there were many. As an example, the R5 has way more pixels, and eye detect AF. And the R5 seems old technology now.

I don't know what the R1 will bring. I bet it will be impressive. I expect it will be a massive thing, though, and that is not for me. I need a lightweight body.

See how silly they are with the pricing - would like to think it's build quality would be better, up to 1 series standard at least. But yes - highly likely I will end up with one for trackside work

Many years ago on another forum, someone was feeling great about the gear they had and saying that it was hard to believe how it could possibly be improved. Some of us thought about it and it wasn't at all obvious what the advances might be. But today we see there were many. As an example, the R5 has way more pixels, and eye detect AF. And the R5 seems old technology now.

I don't know what the R1 will bring. I bet it will be impressive. I expect it will be a massive thing, though, and that is not for me. I need a lightweight body.
Perhaps, but we had AF eye detect in pro bodies over a decade ago and most everyone could guess they'd improve that while upping megapixels. Even the eye control wasn't too much of a shocker, though it had been 25 years since they'd implemented it.

My R3 came yesterday, took it quickly out today. The 30fps does help getting the impact timing (on my sports) just right but downside is that I'll soon have crazy amount of pics to cull through.

074A0147.jpg
  • Canon EOS R3
  • RF70-200mm F2.8 L IS USM
  • 75.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 6400

074A0467.jpg
  • Canon EOS R3
  • RF70-200mm F2.8 L IS USM
  • 95.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 6400

My R3 came yesterday, took it quickly out today. The 30fps does help getting the impact timing (on my sports) just right but downside is that I'll soon have crazy amount of pics to cull through.

View attachment 27830

View attachment 27829
I have found turning my rate button (and my dof button) into a “lock image” button helps significantly. I can view a burst, lock a keeper or two, and delete the rest without the camera ever leaving my eye. Later, in Photo Mechanic, I can select tagged images (locking is a tag) and quickly pull my keepers from whatever chaff I didn’t delete.

Last edited:
I have found turning my rate button (and my dog button) into a “lock image” button helps significantly. I can view a burst, lock a keeper or two, and delete the rest without the camera ever leaving my eye. Later, in Photo Mechanic, I can select tagged images (locking is a tag) and quickly pull my keepers from whatever chaff I didn’t delete.
My sport is too active during tournaments though, I wouldn't have time to review every burst, hence I wouldn't be able to delete pics until back home and culling. But in general if you can do like that, it saves you lot of time in the other end.

I love the idea of X-sync in the 1/1000+ speed range, but I don't think that is enough to get me up to the sales counter.

However, besides new features like that Canon will lure R3 owners to the R1 by incorporating the features that the newer, cheaper cameras already have that the R3 lacks, like pre-burst shooting and USB tethering. Which I think is kind of sandbagging on Canon's part, but I guess that's just part of the game.

I love the idea of X-sync in the 1/1000+ speed range, but I don't think that is enough to get me up to the sales counter.

However, besides new features like that Canon will lure R3 owners to the R1 by incorporating the features that the newer, cheaper cameras already have that the R3 lacks, like pre-burst shooting and USB tethering. Which I think is kind of sandbagging on Canon's part, but I guess that's just part of the game.
Hopefully the pre-shot isn’t the wonky implementation Canon has rolled out thus far. Currently the images are sequestered in a weird group you have to pull them out of, rather than just be images on the card.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back