Artistic or Garbage?

Wow. Thank you for all that work. I'm going to chew on these for awhile and maybe even make a print.

Wow. Thank you for all that work. I'm going to chew on these for awhile and maybe even make a print.
Hi James,

Cheers! Pleased to hear you like them - it was my pleasure... :)

Should you want the full resolution version of any of these, PM me and I'll provide them to you - I still have the re-edits for the moment (however, I will delete them from my system shortly as they're your images).

Phil

Last edited:
What was it that Bob Ross said about mistakes? I think he said something like that there are not any mistakes, just "happy little accidents" in art.

Back when I was just starting out in photography in the early 90's, I had a sort of "mentor", another older and more experienced photographer tell me to show the customer everything. Even if I hated it because it was out of focus etc. Sure enough, my first real portrait session was of 2 children and the negative that made the most money was one that was severely out of focus. I just included it in her set of proofs, and the mother absolutely loved the "artistic look" of it. She bought a 16x20 print for the wall and several smaller prints for other family members. I had taken my mentor's advice and simply presented it as "something different". Beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder.

View attachment 14616
Out of focus Grebe taking off from lake. I wasn't ready to track the Grebe taking flight and blew the shot. However, I really like the bird+reflection in the water against the trees. Thoughts?
I like the background but I think there needs to be one thing that is in focus … otherwise the eye floats around not knowing where to rest. And maybe a bit of reflective light on parts of the background. I’ve got that lens too, on a R6, I like it especially as it’s so lightweight.

Thanks. I agree. Just trying to make something from noting. It does however motivate me to go back to the same spot and try again. If only we could get the birds to fly on cue.

I really like the background! I have so many ideas going through my head and the first one would be using the background for another bird that is in focus. Can't even tell that the bottom half is a reflection which makes it a good background to blend another bird in there.

I really like the background! I have so many ideas going through my head and the first one would be using the background for another bird that is in focus. Can't even tell that the bottom half is a reflection which makes it a good background to blend another bird in there.
Thank you. My thoughts exactly. My next opportinity I will be going back to the same spot and try again. The icing on the cake would be if another BIF crosses within range. Leaves are coming out on the trees and will create a different look. The blurred reflection of the trees invites using it creatively in PS.

Thank you. My thoughts exactly. My next opportinity I will be going back to the same spot and try again. The icing on the cake would be if another BIF crosses within range. Leaves are coming out on the trees and will create a different look. The blurred reflection of the trees invites using it creatively in PS.
I have tried taking Fall foliage colors by doing long exposure and tilting the camera up and down ever so slightly and it creates that a blurred background. That background can be used by itself as an artistic abstract picture, (clone out the birds) in a similar way I used my Fall Colors shots. It looks like brush strokes.

I see art. I think we're so spoiled with the technology we have now that some of the imperfections captured in old photos were really what made them great. I think this looks cool. Have it printed on canvas and frame it like a painting....voila!

I think that if you removed the bird and flipped in horizontally (or cropped it to not include the bird), that it would be a really interesting image...very artsy.
I agree with Bryan. Get rid of the bird and you will have much better picture. Gen Fill in PS does a good job of it

Last edited:

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back