madita

Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Madita Maria Naumann
This only happens sometimes and seems to appear randomly. The Autofocus will not work at all, so the camera does not even try to focus and multiple buttons do not respond. The buttons are the Gallery and the menu. The Info button does work now, but it a few days ago it also did not respond. Does anyone have an idea of where the problem lies? I can't really figure out if I made a mistake in my settings because I can't open it, so I'm guessing it is a software issue? Did that happen to someone else?

Hi Madita and welcome to the forum. I do not own an R7 but I remember there being some discussions on other forums about similar problems.

Question: do you have the latest firmware installed? If not, that could help. Hopefully someone else will be able to offer more info than me.

Hi Madita,

Welcome to the forum!

I've not come across this with our R7 (or R5), but would echo Bryan's comment regarding firmware (for both the camera and lenses). A couple of things to check regarding AF woes - make sure you haven't inadvertently touched the display screen and put the focus point in a corner and check you haven't knocked the AF/MF switch on the lens to MF (I speak from experience in respect of both... :) ). Also check you haven't pressed the Lock button as this can lead to disorientating control behaviours. Finally, when these problems arise, does setting the camera to full Auto, or turning it off/ on re-set it again?

Phil

Last edited:
I would like to add another idea to Phil's, try resetting the camera settings to the factory default and see if that helps.

Edit: I would try to go through a process of elimination. i.e. change memory card, change lens etc. See if it only happens with a certain memory card or a certain lens. Eliminate as many variables as possible....then pray and send it to Canon.

The menu button not working is a puzzler. I don't know of any normal case in which the menu button wouldn't work. It's not remappable. Is it possible that something got spilled on the camera?

During the time I owned the R7 I never had this problem. Doing a factory reset will help in the case of something being configured in the wrong way and you need to try to replicate the issue right after resetting the camera. The fact of the Menu button becoming unresponsive is puzzling and may be an indication of something wrong with the camera hardware or firmware update that went wrong. If your camera still under warranty probably the best thing to do is to contact Canon Support.

Hi Madita and welcome to the forum. I do not own an R7 but I remember there being some discussions on other forums about similar problems.

Question: do you have the latest firmware installed? If not, that could help. Hopefully someone else will be able to offer more info than me.
Hi, I connected my phone to the camera and installed everything the app recommended. I had the issue before and after installing.

Hi Madita,

Welcome to the forum!

I've not come across this with our R7 (or R5), but would echo Bryan's comment regarding firmware (for both the camera and lenses). A couple of things to check regarding AF woes - make sure you haven't inadvertently touched the display screen and put the focus point in a corner and check you haven't knocked the AF/MF switch on the lens to MF (I speak from experience in respect of both... :) ). Also check you haven't pressed the Lock button as this can lead to disorientating control behaviours. Finally, when these problems arise, does setting the camera to full Auto, or turning it off/ on re-set it again?

Phil
Hi, thank you! I installed the recommended updates (by the Canon app on my phone). I checked the AF/MF settings multiple times, because that was my first thought too, now I intentionally switch to MF to take pictures if it is not working again. Turning it on and off usually does not help, most times it just suddenly works again.

I would like to add another idea to Phil's, try resetting the camera settings to the factory default and see if that helps.

Edit: I would try to go through a process of elimination. i.e. change memory card, change lens etc. See if it only happens with a certain memory card or a certain lens. Eliminate as many variables as possible....then pray and send it to Canon.
Yes, I think I might need to reset it. It is not the lens, I had the same issue with another lens. But maybe the memory card is the problem. Hopefully I can be solved without sending it in

The menu button not working is a puzzler. I don't know of any normal case in which the menu button wouldn't work. It's not remappable. Is it possible that something got spilled on the camera?
Hi, not I'm very sure that nothing like this happened. The camera is very new, I have only used it for 3 weeks now. I am starting to fear that I got a defective Camera from the factory

I would definitely try to get the camera exchanged for another one since you have only had it for 3 weeks. Or return it and buy another one depending on the return policy of the seller.

Given all the feedback, which rules out the simple things, it unfortunately looks like your R7 is faulty out of the box - and a return is recommended.

(Your R7 should not behave like this).

Phil

I would definitely try to get the camera exchanged for another one since you have only had it for 3 weeks. Or return it and buy another one depending on the return policy of the seller.
Okay, thank you so much! I will get in contact with support then and try to exchange the camera

Given all the feedback, which rules out the simple things, it unfortunately looks like your R7 is faulty out of the box - and a return is recommended.

(Your R7 should not behave like this).

Phil
Thank you so much for your Advice. I will get in contact with support so that they fix it. Seems like I had bad luck

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back