Dave Addo

Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Dave Addison
Traditionally with all my previous DSLRs I have used just a single focus spot, using the 'focus then compose' method.
I'm finding with the R7, when I set it to single spot, that appears in the centre of the screen as it should. I take a photo, then if I review that photo and then go to take another picture, the focus spot has jumped to near the top of the screen (usually top centre, but sometimes top left). This does happen with other focusing modes too, and happens both with the EVF and the screen.
I've attached a couple of cellphone images of the screen showing an image taken with the spot in centre, then after reviewing that image, where the focus spot has jumped to for the next shot.
I've got the cross keys around the Quick Set button assigned to move the focus spot, but It's rather frustrating having to continually reposition it to the centre of the screen.
I'm assuming (hoping) this is just user error and someone can set me straight! Thanks in advance.
Dave

Focus 1.jpg
  • iPhone 12
  • iPhone 12 back dual wide camera 4.2mm f/1.6
  • 4.2 mm
  • ƒ/1.6
  • 1/121 sec
  • ISO 125

Focus 2.JPG

Traditionally with all my previous DSLRs I have used just a single focus spot, using the 'focus then compose' method.
I'm finding with the R7, when I set it to single spot, that appears in the centre of the screen as it should. I take a photo, then if I review that photo and then go to take another picture, the focus spot has jumped to near the top of the screen (usually top centre, but sometimes top left). This does happen with other focusing modes too, and happens both with the EVF and the screen.
I've attached a couple of cellphone images of the screen showing an image taken with the spot in centre, then after reviewing that image, where the focus spot has jumped to for the next shot.
I've got the cross keys around the Quick Set button assigned to move the focus spot, but It's rather frustrating having to continually reposition it to the centre of the screen.
I'm assuming (hoping) this is just user error and someone can set me straight! Thanks in advance.
Dave

View attachment 20894

View attachment 20895
Hi Dave,

My first thought is - are you inadvertently touching the rear screen with your nose or finger during playback?

Secondly, in case you're not aware, if you press the Multi-controller button in this will centre the focus point. (Note - you'll have to assign the Multi-controller to 'move focus points' in the customise buttons menu first - I'm not sure why Canon doesn't make this the default set-up). You can also tap the 'double rectangle' symbol (2nd in, top right) on the display screen to centre the focus point.

Phil

Last edited:
Hi Dave
A quick way to centre your focus spot is to hit the little joystick controller in the middle of your rear wheel, you can quite easily focus by using the little joystick, rather than using your d pads. Also if you activate your rear screen touch control, you can easily move your focus zone with your thumb while the camera is to your eye. I'm not sure whats going on with the focus point moving, are you in servo Af or single shot? The camera has some amazing focus assists. If this is happening without any interaction from you, perhaps do a reset then see if it happens again.

I have found this repeatedly on my R5 ... and it was due to me inadvertently touching the rear screen with my nose or finger without realising ... necessitating re centering the focus point (as I normally use single point in the centre).
I have the rear screen set to touch and drag focus now for rear lower right quarter and use my thumb to set the focus point where I want if not in the centre.
FWIW when it has moved on my R5 or now R8 it has always been me ! I was so used to focus with a single point and recompose the mirrorless age has me stumped at times :D

Last edited:
That happened to me a few times with my R5 and I don't really know why but I'll do a search out curiosity. It may have been because of what happened to SO8. I later turned off both LCD and Joystick to move the AF point around as I changed my entire approach to shooting ML. I also did a few full factory resets just to start fresh. All the menu items on that menu page. Also 'm assuming you have the latest FW version.

Looking at you example here I do see one thing. I assume you are using Full AF area? What is subject to track set to? The AF point in image 1 is in an area with very little contrast so my guess is jumped to an area that hadsome. AF is all about contrast no matter which AF modes, etc you are in. It's either there or it isn't and we have no control over its sensitivity.

ML bodies have new levels of AF. I'm in Face/Eye detect 100% of the time and will switch between people, animals and vehicles as needed. For that shot I'd probably use single point AF. I use an override method to quickly go back to single point when needed. I'm going to respond to that method in another thread to prevent duplication. I'll post a link when done.

I did a summary a summary of how I shoot. For the shot you took I likely would have used a BBF to override full area AF and use single point AF.

Hi Dave,

My first thought is - are you inadvertently touching the rear screen with your nose or finger during playback?

Secondly, in case you're not aware, if you press the Multi-controller button in this will centre the focus point. (Note - you'll have to assign the Multi-controller to 'move focus points' in the customise buttons menu first - I'm not sure why Canon doesn't make this the default set-up). You can also tap the 'double rectangle' symbol (2nd in, top right) on the display screen to centre the focus point.

Phil
Hi Phil, definitely not touching the screen as I have it closed when using the EVF. Still very new to this camera, so that may change as I work out the method that suits my needs best.
Great tip about pressing the multi controller button to re-centre though - I didn't know that, and that will be a big help thanks.

I have found this repeatedly on my R5 ... and it was due to me inadvertently touching the rear screen with my nose or finger without realising ... necessitating re centering the focus point (as I normally use single point in the centre).
I have the rear screen set to touch and drag focus now for rear lower right quarter and use my thumb to set the focus point where I want if not in the centre.
FWIW when it has moved on my R5 or now R8 it has always been me ! I was so used to focus with a single point and recompose the mirrorless age has me stumped at times :D
Yeah definitely not the case for me, as this is happening with the screen shut.

Hi Dave
A quick way to centre your focus spot is to hit the little joystick controller in the middle of your rear wheel, you can quite easily focus by using the little joystick, rather than using your d pads. Also if you activate your rear screen touch control, you can easily move your focus zone with your thumb while the camera is to your eye. I'm not sure whats going on with the focus point moving, are you in servo Af or single shot? The camera has some amazing focus assists. If this is happening without any interaction from you, perhaps do a reset then see if it happens again.
That's a great tip to re-centre thanks. This is happening in both single shot and servo.

That happened to me a few times with my R5 and I don't really know why but I'll do a search out curiosity. It may have been because of what happened to SO8. I later turned off both LCD and Joystick to move the AF point around as I changed my entire approach to shooting ML. I also did a few full factory resets just to start fresh. All the menu items on that menu page. Also 'm assuming you have the latest FW version.

Looking at you example here I do see one thing. I assume you are using Full AF area? What is subject to track set to? The AF point in image 1 is in an area with very little contrast so my guess is jumped to an area that hadsome. AF is all about contrast no matter which AF modes, etc you are in. It's either there or it isn't and we have no control over its sensitivity.

ML bodies have new levels of AF. I'm in Face/Eye detect 100% of the time and will switch between people, animals and vehicles as needed. For that shot I'd probably use single point AF. I use an override method to quickly go back to single point when needed. I'm going to respond to that method in another thread to prevent duplication. I'll post a link when done.
HI, yes these were taken with full area AF. The camera was in servo, eye detect on, and animal detect. I realise that's completely wrong for this type of shot, they were just taken purely to show how the focus spot moved between shots, without me doing anything. BTW, I am still working my way through the manual!

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back