Followers
Following
Name
Phil
City/State
TX
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
First time experiencing sensor dust on on the R system. Had the R5 for 2 years and still clean even though I can be pretty forgetful and not turn the power off.
Today while out shooting wildlife, I spotted a big blob in the lower right corner. I reviewed my images and the spot appeared after about an hour of shooting and. I did not change lens in the field. I was using the EF100-400L. got home and look at the sensor and saw 2 big spots. Urrrrgh!!!! I did manage to dispatched the bigger spot with an air blower but there is a smaller stubborn one. Did some test shots. At f/8 it is barely visible but at f/11 is slightly more visible. It is in the lower right corner and most likely will not affect my shots since I usually crop my shots or it can be cloned out, BUT it is going to bug me because I know it is there! LOL!!!
How did that dust all of a sudden appear? Was it inside the camera or it fell from the lens. My guess would be that it fell from the lens, since that lens has been on that R7 for over a month.

Do you have Sensor Cleaner turned on? Some how my was turned off and six months later...well let's just say the bar top at a smokey, sticky neon bar was cleaner. If it's not turned on, the instructions are on page 798 of the Advance User Guide (1.8.0 or higher edition).

Sensor spots will rear their ugly little heads the smaller your Aperture as you have noticed and f/2.8 is not always the optimal solution. Sensor spots are a fact of nature and the only way to keep them to a minimum is Portrait Photography in a studio and only use a single lens.

Do you have Sensor Cleaner turned on? Some how my was turned off and six months later...well let's just say the bar top at a smokey, sticky neon bar was cleaner. If it's not turned on, the instructions are on page 798 of the Advance User Guide (1.8.0 or higher edition).

Sensor spots will rear their ugly little heads the smaller your Aperture as you have noticed and f/2.8 is not always the optimal solution. Sensor spots are a fact of nature and the only way to keep them to a minimum is Portrait Photography in a studio and only use a single lens.
Sensor Cleaner is on. when the spot is visible at f/5.6 that is not good because it will be more visible at f/11 when I use the 800mm f/11 lens. Yes, I am aware that the dust spots are more pronounce at smaller aperture. I'll be getting a sensor cleaning kit this week. I don't keep cleaning kits anymore. They usually dry out by the time I need it.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back