R5 screen and viewfinder not showing changes when adjust exposure.

AKVet

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Kepa Wong
City/State
Alaska
When taking Milky Way shots I usually use my R6 Mk II. However, I was using my R5 last night. Normally, when changing exposure settings, as usual, you can see those changes in the screen and viewfinder. However, when in very low light (no moon), my R5's screen and viewfinder will not reflect those changes when changing exposure. The photos that I take, however, is exposed correctly. This only happens when there is very low light. When there is a bit of light, it will work fine. This make it very hard to compose my shots.

Has anyone experienced this or does anyone have any suggestions?

Don't have my camera here with me now, but was there setting something like "simulate exposure on screen" or something?

Also, I know that when using flashes and studio lights it exposures differently on the screen. I assume no flashes or remotes connected?

I think I understand what you're asking - changes made to exposure are not reflected in the viewfinder under dark conditions. I've looked around for an answer, but I'm not sure I've found it. Have you changed the Exposure Simulation settings (found in the menus under RED 7, page 264 in the 1.9 manual)? There is also this from Canon:
https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/in...focus, from the foreground to the background.

I'm not sure if either of those will affect the issue, but they might be a good place to start.

Don't have my camera here with me now, but was there setting something like "simulate exposure on screen" or something?

Also, I know that when using flashes and studio lights it exposures differently on the screen. I assume no flashes or remotes connected?
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I did try that setting, but no joy.
I think I understand what you're asking - changes made to exposure are not reflected in the viewfinder under dark conditions. I've looked around for an answer, but I'm not sure I've found it. Have you changed the Exposure Simulation settings (found in the menus under RED 7, page 264 in the 1.9 manual)? There is also this from Canon:
https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART178258#:~:text=Press the depth-of-field preview button to stop down,in focus, from the foreground to the background.

I'm not sure if either of those will affect the issue, but they might be a good place to start.
Thanks for your reply and the link. I did try changing settings in exposure simulation last night, but wasn't successful. I will have to wait until this evening when it is dark to try it again. Everything works as advertised when I have some light, even a little light. The problem occurs when it is nearly pitch black (no moon). Makes it tough for astro-photography. I didn't pack my R6 Mk II on this trip so I am stuck with this problem at the moment. I will be here for 3 weeks so I am desperate to find a solution.

Check to see if you have optical viewfinder simulation turned on. I use that when I’m doing portraits with a strobe and the exposure simulation shows the exposure as black.

Check to see if you have optical viewfinder simulation turned on. I use that when I’m doing portraits with a strobe and the exposure simulation shows the exposure as black.
Okay, I will be trying (and re-trying) this tonight.

Tried it out again last night. Exp Sim had no effect on this particular issue. It is an odd problem. Everything was working fine from daylight to blue hour. Then once it got to a certain level of darkness, the issue returned. I dunno! Is my camera a "daylight only" camera now!?! :oops::ROFLMAO:

I'm speculating here, but wouldn't that possibly be by design? That the camera's processing logic has a certain level of light defined under which the screen brightness remains constant because any compensation could actually get in the way rather than help?

Possibly, however, my R6 Mk II behaves "correctly" and my other astro-photographer friends' camera works fine in the evening. For astro-photography, it is essential to see what your composition to looks like before taking the shot.

I usually use my R6 Mk II when taking Milky Way shots, however, I only brought my R5 on my trip and it appears it may be "broken". This is the first time I traveled with just one camera. Big mistake! Its cool though, I'll get over it (maybe)! Haha!

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back