Canon R6 I Battery Life

Photomanray

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Ray Kearney
Hi everyone

I have just moved from a 5Diii to an R6 and I'm shocked at the short battery life. Fortunately the batteries I have from my 5D can be used in the R6 because I had to take every battery I have to a wedding this week. The battery supplied with the R6 died after just short of 200 images and it takes 2.5 hours to fully recharge. I have tried everything I know to use as little power as possible. I have turned off the image review, do not use the screen whilst shooting and use all the power saving settings. The supplied battery is not the problem as the other batteries have similar short working lives before giving up the ghost.

Any advice welcome.

Ray

Sad to hear your case with the short battery life. Please also make sure to put the camera to Airplane mode (wifi and BT can be battery hogs). Also disable Continuous AF, if you haven't done so yet. Hope this helps.

Sad to hear your case with the short battery life. Please also make sure to put the camera to Airplane mode (wifi and BT can be battery hogs). Also disable Continuous AF, if you haven't done so yet. Hope this helps.
Thank you for your quick reply. I have tried all suggestions with no effect sadly.

Gone are the days when the only thing a battery was responsible for was the light meter.

Gone are the days when the only thing a battery was responsible for was the light meter.
Exactly. Bear in mind that the EVF consumes power at feverish pace as does the LCD screen, so we need to expect shorter battery life. That's the price we pay for those features, so it might be worth investing in a spare battery.

Exactly items I was planning to mention too.

200 sounds low though even with those enabled. On my R5 I have 2 batteries in the grip and I can usually go 6-8 hours and 3000-4000 pics on those before swapping fresh ones. I'm airplane mode and disabled continuous AF. Usually few times (3-10) I turn wifi on briefly to upload few good shots to my phone, and then back to airplane mode.

Exactly items I was planning to mention too.

200 sounds low though even with those enabled. On my R5 I have 2 batteries in the grip and I can usually go 6-8 hours and 3000-4000 pics on those before swapping fresh ones. I'm airplane mode and disabled continuous AF. Usually few times (3-10) I turn wifi on briefly to upload few good shots to my phone, and then back to airplane mode.
I was wondering what you mean by "disabled continuous AF". I have the Canon R7. Do you mean Servo? Or is there something else I am missing? When reading the manual if I search continuous AF all I see is One Shot and Servo.

I was wondering what you mean by "disabled continuous AF". I have the Canon R7. Do you mean Servo? Or is there something else I am missing? When reading the manual if I search continuous AF all I see is One Shot and Servo.
Continuous AF was a term use for EoS R6 MK1. For the R7 it has been renamed to Preview AF.

Continuous AF was a term use for EoS R6 MK1. For the R7 it has been renamed to Preview AF.
Thank You Ferenc MOGOR. I see it now. I am not having any battery issues but was just confused by that term. Wishing you good light and interesting subjects.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back