Canon R6 I Battery Life

Photomanray

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Ray Kearney
Hi everyone

I have just moved from a 5Diii to an R6 and I'm shocked at the short battery life. Fortunately the batteries I have from my 5D can be used in the R6 because I had to take every battery I have to a wedding this week. The battery supplied with the R6 died after just short of 200 images and it takes 2.5 hours to fully recharge. I have tried everything I know to use as little power as possible. I have turned off the image review, do not use the screen whilst shooting and use all the power saving settings. The supplied battery is not the problem as the other batteries have similar short working lives before giving up the ghost.

Any advice welcome.

Ray

Thank You Ferenc MOGOR. I see it now. I am not having any battery issues but was just confused by that term. Wishing you good light and interesting subjects.
Not at all. Enjoy your R7 with good light. :)

I set the following on my R5, (R6 settings should be the same) if I'm looking for longest battery life usage balance for me - Just the settings that have a clear impact on power use, they all will have an effect obviously, but you also need to be able to use the computer (sorry camera) to take the pictures that you want too.

Shoot3: Lens aberration correction: Peripheral illum corr: OFF
Shoot3: Lens aberration correction: Distortion correction: OFF
Shoot3: Lens aberration correction: Digital Lens Optimizer: OFF
Shoot3: Lens aberration correction: Chromatic aberr corr: OFF
Shoot3: Lens aberration correction: Diffraction correction: OFF
Shoot7: Image review: off
Shoot7: High Speed Display: off
Shoot7: Metring Timer: 8 sec
Shoot8: Disp. performance: Power saving
AF1: Continuous AF: Disable
Network1: Airplane mode: On
Set Up2: Power Saving: Display off: 1min
Set Up2: Power Saving: Auto power off: 3min
Set Up2: Power Saving: Viewfinder off: 1min
Set Up3: Screen/viewfinder display: Auto 1 (only screen) AUTO1
Set Up3: Screen brightness: 4
Set Up3: Viewfinder brightness: AUTO

I usually have the battery grip installed, work most of the time in manual mode and with triple back button focus and have no problems with getting 2500+ on full batteries.

200 Seems way less than most people are getting. I usually get over a 1000 shots on a single battery, but still own 6 batteries total. Definitely a must, especially if you shoot weddings...

Could Image Stabilization be the reason? It's a huge drain on the battery, and perhaps yours is set to be "always on"?

IS.jpg

As many have commented, 200 seems very low. At a Silverstone sports car meeting earlier this year with my new R6 Mk2 I took 422 images (Large jpg + small RAW) using occasional slow speed continuous drive and still had 55% battery life left at the end of the day.

Is it the battery itself or the camera? You might have some bad cells on that battery. Have you tried a different battery? When my husband bought a new camcorder it came with a bad battery. After replacing the battery it was better.

Agree with above, sounds like a bad battery. I sometimes shoot 500-600 a day and still power available.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back