Beetle?

pcassel

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Paul Cassel
I saw a black dot on our bathroom wall where I didn't remember a dot. It moved so I got my R7 to see if I could image it. It was moving as I took this snap. The camera's tracking did pick it up - much to my surprise since it's so tiny. It was moving when I snapped this. I'm curious - is it a beetle? Yes, I'm brand new to macro.

red black something.jpg
  • Canon EOS R7
  • RF100mm F2.8 L MACRO IS USM
  • 100.0 mm
  • ƒ/3.2
  • 3/10 sec
  • ISO 100

It's a carpet beetle - not the best of visitors.

Anthrenus verbasci.

Paul.

Thanks, Paul. It's not much of a problem here since we have all hard floors.

Thanks, Paul. It's not much of a problem here since we have all hard floors.
They will also damage anything that is made of textiles or fabrics. Not just carpet which is just a common place for laying their eggs. Seeing just one is not concerning as it could have been brought in on something. However, if you continue to see them or find damaged clothes or towels etc, then you might have a problem. They are common in old bird nests as they like to eat animal products, so that is a common source.

Thank you. I will keep this in mind. So far there's only one. I never expected my early try at macro would reveal such an issue.

Thank you. I will keep this in mind. So far there's only one. I never expected my early try at macro would reveal such an issue.
I worked in the pest control industry for almost 20 years in Mississippi before moving to Germany and carpet beetle infestations are relatively rare, but they do happen. You will probably never see another one, but if you do, they are relatively easy to get rid of. If there is an infestation, you will know it now that you know what to look for.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back