JWILL

Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Jeanette Williams
I have a Canon R6. Right now I am using a Canon 75-300mm L lense for bird photos but would like something to get closer. Which would be better for that type photo, the RF 600 or the Sigma C 150-600?

I use the Sigma 150-600 and it works great with the R, RP I have. It is heavy though so that is something to consider. Does require a converter as well since they don't make a RF version yet. The 1.4x also works well with it if you need a little more reach. Another option of coarse is the Canon RF 100-500.

Thank you. I will look closer at the Canon RF 100-500. I think that it costs more but perhaps it will weigh less. The weight is one reason that I was thinking about the RF 600. I do prefer the RF lenses, especially since the adapters are so hard to come by.

Thank you. I will look closer at the Canon RF 100-500. I think that it costs more but perhaps it will weigh less. The weight is one reason that I was thinking about the RF 600. I do prefer the RF lenses, especially since the adapters are so hard to come by.
Yeah, if there is a camera store near you you could always go check it out. I wouldn't say it is super heavy but it does take some getting used to. The Contemporary (the one I have) is lighter then the Sport version. It is the only EF lens I have now but I just love what I get out of it so it is a keeper. The Canon is almost or more then twice the cost so for me it would be hard to justify the switch. Plus I just bought the Canon RF 15-35 . :)

I have the Tamron 150-600 and the RF 800. The RF 800 is light and I will defer to this is the light is good and I know that I need the reach. Otherwise I have the Tamron for lower light (not much) but with my R6 and the ability to crank the ISO I seems to get most shots in normal daylight. If I have something I want to get and it is low light and close in I can use my EF 70-200 2.8. I have the EF 1.4x if I want to get a little more reach. At some point I want the RF 100-500 but instead of the Tamron but I am happy with what I have for now.

Yeah, if there is a camera store near you you could always go check it out. I wouldn't say it is super heavy but it does take some getting used to. The Contemporary (the one I have) is lighter then the Sport version. It is the only EF lens I have now but I just love what I get out of it so it is a keeper. The Canon is almost or more then twice the cost so for me it would be hard to justify the switch. Plus I just bought the Canon RF 15-35 . :)
I don’t think that we have any stores near us, but I need to check. When we lived near Cincinnati, some of the camera shops would see up at the zoo and you could rent lens to try out for a couple of hours. That was a great way to check out different lens. I wish they did that around here but I haven’t heard of it being done and we don’t live near a zoo. I have the RF 35 macro and the RF 24-105mm L. The rest are the Ef Lens.

Last edited:
I have the Tamron 150-600 and the RF 800. The RF 800 is light and I will defer to this is the light is good and I know that I need the reach. Otherwise I have the Tamron for lower light (not much) but with my R6 and the ability to crank the ISO I seems to get most shots in normal daylight. If I have something I want to get and it is low light and close in I can use my EF 70-200 2.8. I have the EF 1.4x if I want to get a little more reach. At some point I want the RF 100-500 but instead of the Tamron but I am happy with what I have for now.
Thank you. I will check out the Tamron. I have been looking at the RF 600 mainly because it is lighter than the RF 800. I like to hold my camera rather than use a tripod so some lens can get heavy pretty quick. I do like the reach though so I may have to do some arm workouts to make it easier to hold the bigger lens. LOL

The 800mm is incredibly light and lighter then the Tamron and Sigmas. I hand hold both and the RF 800 a whole lot easier

The 800mm is incredibly light and lighter then the Tamron and Sigmas. I hand hold both and the RF 800 a whole lot easier
Thank you. That is good to know. I may check with Best Buy and see if they have some of these lens in stock so I can actually hold them.

I have the R6 with 100-500. Amazing light set and superb quality all around. You will not regret the extra cost.

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back