Peter Blacket
City/State
Australia
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Still learning still rank beginner.

Australia.

How do you experts do it?

Stay dead still let birds get used to you and move closer.

Or set up by water on a hot afternoon when they come in for a drink?

Or just walk quietly and have eyes peeled and find you subject in trees then start shooting.

Yes lens the key aware of that. Rf 100/400 with 1.4 extender. Adequate if I can get close enough.

They always seem to know when you don’t have camera.

R6 locks on pretty well.

BBF set and works great as per many suggestions on here

Practice panning and keeping the bird in the focus area. Practice, practice, practice.

Attachments

• Young heron.jpg
    Young heron.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 53
If you are going to a location where you know the birds frequent, you may have the more success if you get there and all set before they get there, most likely in the dark. They will be more tolerant of your presence because you were already part of the environment that they chose to fly into. You didn't walk into their area and disturb them.

Get there before the birds, sit and wait. You can take in a folding chair or stool, and a little camo pattern coth or a nylon pop up blind if necessary.

Same basic camera settings as you would expect- 1/1000 or (preferably) faster, AI servo, High speed continuous, sun at your back pointing your shadow at the bird.

And fight the urge to zoom in to the max or you’ll risk coming away with clipped wings or being unable to even find the dird in the viewfinder.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back