PKM-UK

Veteran Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Phil Moore
Images from our visit (in July, 2022) to Bolton Abbey, Wharfdale, Yorkshire Dales National Park, North Yorkshire, England.

(Shot raw and processed using: DxO PL Elite/ ViewPoint/ Nik Silver Efex and Adobe LrC/ PS with Tony Kuyper TK-9 Panels).

You can find out more about Bolton Abbey by clicking Here.

Phil and Karen

1. A ruined 12th-century Augustinian Priory and the Priory Church of St. Mary and St. Cuthbert sit aside the River Wharf on the Bolton Abbey Estate.

RF-S-BA-1.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 24.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 100

2. The land was gifted to Augustinian canons by Alice de Rumilly in 1154. They worshipped here until 1539 when the dissolution of the monasteries stripped the Priory of its assets. However the nave of the abbey church survived the fallout and has continued to be used as a Parish Church.

RF-S-BA-2.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 24.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 160

3. Within the Bolton Abbey Estate is The Valley of Desolation ( 😮 ) and the Posforth Gill Waterfall. The valley links the River Wharf with Barden Fell - on which sits Simon’s Seat, a rocky outcrop thought to relate to Druids who followed Simon Magus (a man who claimed to be one of the Three Wise Men).

RF-S-BA-3.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 70.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 1250

4. The River Wharf north of Strid Wood - a risky way to cross and a much safer way (the turreted bridge is actually an aqueduct). We opted for ‘the safer way’. (Uninteresting note - we both came down with Covid the following day and had to bale for home. We'll be heading back here later this year).

RF-S-BA-4.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 26.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/800 sec
  • ISO 1000

5. Barden Tower, now part of the Bolton Estate, is a medieval fortified tower which was used as a hunting lodge in the 15th and 16th centuries. Next to the tower is a small chapel and priest house (c. 1513). The site now features a restaurant and is sometimes used as a wedding venue.

RF-S-BA-5.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 29.0 mm
  • ƒ/10
  • 1/800 sec
  • ISO 100

6. Today the Bolton Abbey Estate is owned by the Duke of Devonshire (the Cavendish family - who also own Chatsworth, among other properties).

RF-S-BA-6.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 24.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/800 sec
  • ISO 200

(Sources: Bolton Abbey, Wikipedia).

Last edited:
I really love flipping through your images of these wonderful places. And I think B&W was the way to go, lots of stone details and the overcast skies.

I agree with Chris - I just love seeing these places and the fabulous photography as well. Thanks for another mini vacation.

I really love flipping through your images of these wonderful places. And I think B&W was the way to go, lots of stone details and the overcast skies.
Hi Chris,

Cheers for those very kind words - much appreciated!

(I started in colour, but preferred the B&W treatments).

Phil

Hi MIke,

Cheers - much appreciated!

We're very nearly done with the legacy visits (I think there's only one set remaining), but there's a few new ones lined up already - and more are planned.

Phil

An amazing set of images, Phil and Karen. You bring the places to life with your images and your narration. Each place is beautiful, and I love the river crossing, even someone like me who has issues with rivers when I hike would love that.

Another great set of images. I’m fascinated by the mini history lessons that come with them.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back