Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Cemal Ekin
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
I enjoy seeing the work of members from different parts of the world with diverse interests. I noticed that some present their images that render consistently darker on my calibrated screens, and some lighter. I am curious, do you calibrate your monitor screens for color and brightness using calibration hardware/software or eyeball it? Brightness adjustment as well as color accuracy, positioning of the monitor, and room lighting all contribute to our perception of the image on the screen, and apply adjustments accordingly. I have a few articles on calibration and the work environment on my Web site, here is a link to one some may find useful.

Thanks, this has been a issue for me as well.

Hi Cemal,

A good subject to raise!

MkI Eyeball. I have an Asus ProArt monitor (driven by my MacBook Pro). I prefer my work environment to be on the dim side.

My father-in-law, who does use a calibrated monitor, says he finds my images are sometimes a little too dark for his tastes.

(Me and Karen both think they look fine - so we share a similar ‘personal calibration’!).

I'm interested to hear how you (and others) find my images on your calibrated monitor - any feedback would be welcome... :)

(I should add your images look absolutely fine on our gear here).

Phil

(Note: I am an enthusiastic hobbyist and my inquisitive side sometimes takes our images off in creative directions).

Last edited:
Hi Cemal,

A good subject to raise!

MkI Eyeball. I have an Asus ProArt monitor (driven by my MacBook Pro). I prefer my work environment to be on the dim side.

My father-in-law, who does use a calibrated monitor, says he finds my images are sometimes a little too dark for his tastes.

(Me and Karen both think they look fine - so we share a similar ‘personal calibration’!).

I'm interested to hear how you (and others) find my images on your calibrated monitor - any feedback would be welcome... :)

(I should add your images look absolutely fine on our gear here).

Phil

(Note: I am an enthusiastic hobbyist and my inquisitive side sometimes takes our images off in creative directions).
Phil, your interior photographs appear to convey the mood. It is hard to tell whether they are darker than they need to be. However, many of your exterior, outdoor, and nature images are a tad on the dark side for my eyes. I would like to see the bird more clearly, or the castle shouldn't be that dark with that sky, and so on. That would explain your father-in-law's finding your monitor too bright. If that is the case, you will darken your images to look right on that screen.

If you print your own, you can better gauge by comparing the properly illuminated print to the screen. They will never be identical as their rendering models are different, but you will see if your print comes out lighter or darker than expected based on what you see on the screen. I have an empirical evaluation of brightness in one of the articles. It is not precise but will give an idea.

Like Phil, I use the old Mk1 Eyeball. I've been meaning to acquire a Spyder or some such calibration device, but seem to forget until I start processing images. Maybe it's time to start my research again (but follow through this time).

Like Phil, I use the old Mk1 Eyeball. I've been meaning to acquire a Spyder or some such calibration device, but seem to forget until I start processing images. Maybe it's time to start my research again (but follow through this time).
There are really good options for this. Spyder and X-Rite offer models that can do screen and even printer calibrations depending on the needs. I use an i1DisplayPro by XRite and my NEC-specific software supports it. Its own software is excellent too. The newer versions are even better I am sure. Some environmental considerations are also useful, like not placing the monitor in front of a window with a great view! Calibration is not something anyone regrets! Or, I have not heard it yet.

Spyder Pro-X every 30 days. I can really see the difference in colors on my monitor, but more so on my laptop screen.

Cemal and Dean, thanks for the advice and suggestions. I just need to pick one and get my monitor calibrated - it looks like the X-Rite is no longer being made.

Mike, X-Rite seems to have split their product lines. Look for the CaliBrite brand which includes profiling gear that used to be marketed under the X-Rite brand. Their website is:

Phil, your interior photographs appear to convey the mood. It is hard to tell whether they are darker than they need to be. However, many of your exterior, outdoor, and nature images are a tad on the dark side for my eyes. I would like to see the bird more clearly, or the castle shouldn't be that dark with that sky, and so on. That would explain your father-in-law's finding your monitor too bright. If that is the case, you will darken your images to look right on that screen.

If you print your own, you can better gauge by comparing the properly illuminated print to the screen. They will never be identical as their rendering models are different, but you will see if your print comes out lighter or darker than expected based on what you see on the screen. I have an empirical evaluation of brightness in one of the articles. It is not precise but will give an idea.
Hi Cemal,

Thank you for taking the time to provide detailed feedback - very much appreciated!

I‘ve taken this matter very seriously and escalated it to the boss (Karen) and we have a Calibrite device arriving today.

I’m looking forward to seeing what it reveals and whether it can help me to produce better results. :)

Phil

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back