Chris Summers

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Chris Summers
Noise in our images is sort of a subjective thing, how much is too much is really something for the person taking the picture to decide. And now we have some great ways to decrease noise through Ai.

Here are 3 examples:
  1. no noise adjustment, only typical edits in LR
  2. Processed a TIFF copy in Topaz Photo Ai after LR adjustments
  3. Processed a duplicate DNG in Lightroom Denoise AI with LR adjustments

Both denoise options did a decent job but Photo Ai sharpened a bit more, the eyes on the girl in the blue jersey seem to stand out a bit, not sure I like that. And LR Denoise Ai seemed to remove the slight green cast to the shadows which I think is an improvement.

By the way, the camera ISO was at 16000 in order for me to shoot at 1/1000 sec. at f/4 exposure. It's an older gym with fluorescent lighting that isn't as bright as newer gyms with LED lights. Also the floors in most older gyms get quite an odd color, probably the polyurethane varnish yellowing over time and that tends to give a yellow cast. I try to correct for the wall behind of find something white to balance on.

Shot with my R7 and RF 24-105 f/4 lens. I have found from experience that I like to shoot in the Manual mode so I can set the shutter speed and f/ stop (generally as above but in a brighter gym I can increase shutter speed a bit). I also set the ISO after doing a few test shots during the players warmup. Why not let the ISO be on automatic? I find it gets false readings as the players move around, if the background behind the player I am following get darker or lighter it changes the ISO but the light on the player is the same so I just chose an ISO based on the location.

By the way, the girl in the red jersey is my granddaughter, Emily who is a high school freshman this year.

Attachments

• 1 Emily no NR.jpg
    1 Emily no NR.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 65
  • 2 Emily Topaz Photo Ai.jpg
    2 Emily Topaz Photo Ai.jpg
    525.5 KB · Views: 63
  • 3 Emily LR Denoise AI.jpg
    3 Emily LR Denoise AI.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 67
Best of the best is the DxO Deep Prime XD IMHO.

Best of the best is the DxO Deep Prime XD IMHO.
I may have to give DXO another try. I had earlier versions on my computer 10-12 years ago but it got lost in the shuffle with new computer upgrades.

Noise in our images is sort of a subjective thing, how much is too much is really something for the person taking the picture to decide. And now we have some great ways to decrease noise through Ai.

Here are 3 examples:

Both denoise options did a decent job but Photo Ai sharpened a bit more, the eyes on the girl in the blue jersey seem to stand out a bit, not sure I like that. And LR Denoise Ai seemed to remove the slight green cast to the shadows which I think is an improvement.

By the way, the camera ISO was at 16000 in order for me to shoot at 1/1000 sec. at f/4 exposure. It's an older gym with fluorescent lighting that isn't as bright as newer gyms with LED lights. Also the floors in most older gyms get quite an odd color, probably the polyurethane varnish yellowing over time and that tends to give a yellow cast. I try to correct for the wall behind of find something white to balance on.

Shot with my R7 and RF 24-105 f/4 lens. I have found from experience that I like to shoot in the Manual mode so I can set the shutter speed and f/ stop (generally as above but in a brighter gym I can increase shutter speed a bit). I also set the ISO after doing a few test shots during the players warmup. Why not let the ISO be on automatic? I find it gets false readings as the players move around, if the background behind the player I am following get darker or lighter it changes the ISO but the light on the player is the same so I just chose an ISO based on the location.

By the way, the girl in the red jersey is my granddaughter, Emily who is a high school freshman this year.
Hi Chris,

Of the 3 images you've posted my order of preference would be - Lr Denoise, Topaz PAI and nothing.

I like Lr Denoise - providing you don't over-cook things it does a great job. I like Topaz Labs (DeNoise AI, Sharpen AI and Photo AI) too, but PAI often needs some user intervention to tweak the settings and prevent the auto pilot from over-doing it (in your example PAI has 'over smoothed' IMHO).

As has been mentioned by RedCobra if I'm working with high ISO's and want to retain the highest level of detail, I turn to DxO DeepPRIME XD.

(Having said all that 'high ISO's' for me would be 3200-6400 - I don't generally have to go above this).

Phil

I may have to give DXO another try. I had earlier versions on my computer 10-12 years ago but it got lost in the shuffle with new computer upgrades.
The new DxO AI stuff is nothing like their old software. I used Topaz DeNoise AI for a couple years faithfully, and tried to use Pure Raw 2 but couldn't install it on my 2012 MacBook Pro. Glad that happened because a couple weeks after I upgraded the MacBook they came out with Pure Raw 3. My workflow has always been Lightroom (crop, minor light adjustments) -> Photoshop (levels adjust, Topaz DeNoise AI, Camera Raw Filter, export watermarked JPEG). Pure Raw adds a step by creating a DNG file that does not pick up on the Lightroom crop, camera profile, or rating metadata, which adds time and effort (I'm hoping they fix this). But it's that good that I've modified mine. I still use Topaz DeNoise AI 80% as a step prior to exporting the JPEG adjusting noise reduction and sharpening appropriately, but Pure Raw 3 is always step 1.

My answer to questions asking for subjective responses is usually, you do you. I’ve seen great and mediocre results from all the denoise tools out there, but, since none of my photos are going to the Smithsonian or Louvre, any of them is more than good enough. Personally, I own Topaz’s products but have been using the new(ish) DeNoise that’s now in Lightroom a lot more, simply out of the convenience of staying in one tool. If Adobe continues to improve their DeNoise and other AI tools, the need for others will become much less. It will be interesting how companies like Topaz continue to evolve. Maybe the upcoming release of Photo AI v2 will give some clue to their intentions with the product.

You can see the difference in the skin of the players. I find DXO very good up to the point that what I do is to convert all the pictures with DXO and then post edit the resultant DNG files. I own Topaz Denoise too but after using DXO there are very few pictures where I have to apply Denoise.

Here are 3 examples:
In my Opinion, Topaz did a lot better job that LR.

IMO there is something not right with the Adobe Denoise AI example. It can do a far better job.

Noise is subjective and a little noise is actually good to prevent posterisation when printing and does help with detail. I like silky smooth backgrounds for web display so in LrC I'll mask it and remove all the noise in those areas. Since it does not effect the subject there is no harm. Not always but some times I do that.

I've pretty much watched every video about Adobe Denoise Ai and comparing it to others like DXO and Topaz. Conclusions. All have their strengths and weaknesses, even across one a single file. Some areas DXO looks better and other areas Adobe looks better. That would include Topaz. If you are using LrC and have 3r party apps use what works best for you needs. If you don't have any 3rd party apps you may want to consider saving your money. If you still want to get them then that's great as well.

A few weeks after Adobe Denoise came out I removed all DXO products, ON1 NoNoise, all Topaz products expect Sharpen AI off my system. Good products but I decided I will not longer need them and spend money on annual upgrades for support, etc.

As others noted, noise reduction and sharpening can be subjective and very dependent on personal preferences. In this case, while Topaz seemed to remove more noise from their faces, I didn't really like the feel of it (something about the blue player's left eye is strange to me and the skin seems "pasty"; again, very personal preference) and I liked the LR NR better. Prior to LR having Denoise AI, I started using DxO DeepPrime after seeing suggestions and feedback on DPreview, especially from a certain person on this forum (Thanks Phil). But once the Denoise AI came out I find myself using DxO PL5 very little and I'm "living" primarily in LR Classic again

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back