Lightroom Classic v12.3 released...

Just compared Adobe to Topaz Photo AI on an R7 night shot at 6400 ISO. The original has a lot of noise. Care to guess which is the Adobe and which is the Topaz? I know a screenshot isn't the best. Adobe was set to 50%; Topaz was on its auto settings. Adobe is on the left and I am quite impressed. Now if they could only fix the bug I've had open for a year where Lightroom Classic to Photoshop Edit In workflow is broken on sporadic systems.

View attachment 14933
Hi Tony,

I must admit I was more than a little sceptical about whether Adobe Denoise could be competitive straight out of the box, but so far it's producing very impressive results. (If I'm perfectly honest, I'm a bit shocked how good it is).

I'm not sure I'll be ditching DxO or Topaz Labs just yet, but I'll certainly be comparing the results from the various options (where time permits!) - and I won't be surprised if Adobe is 'the winning solution' in a number of instances.

I've been using 50-75% strength on ISO 3200-6400 raw files with very good results. Further testing will follow in the coming days (and weeks!) I'm sure... :)

(I've not come across your Lr C -> Photoshop issue, but good luck on getting a fix).

Phil

The same updates seem to have been applied to ACR and they are indeed impressive. This may obviate the necessity for Topaz AI for me. I like the textures better in the limited sample set I've processed so far.
The accuracy of the masking improved markedly IMHO.

Hi Tony,

I must admit I was more than a little sceptical about whether Adobe Denoise could be competitive straight out of the box, but so far it's producing very impressive results. (If I'm perfectly honest, I'm a bit shocked how good it is).

I'm not sure I'll be ditching DxO or Topaz Labs just yet, but I'll certainly be comparing the results from the various options (where time permits!) - and I won't be surprised if Adobe is 'the winning solution' in a number of instances.

I've been using 50-75% strength on ISO 3200-6400 raw files with very good results. Further testing will follow in the coming days (and weeks!) I'm sure... :)

(I've not come across your Lr C -> Photoshop issue, but good luck on getting a fix).

Phil
I'm glad they took their time and had a good first release, unlike Topaz PAI. I don't Adobe was under the same pressure as Topaz. Big command with good sales and lots of resources.

In this example, Adobe beats Topaz by correctly identifying the noise in and behind the trees, which seems to have confused Topaz Photo AI. When I get more time, I'll run some comparisons to Topaz DeNoise AI. I went with Photo AI because that's where Topaz is putting all their development efforts. If Adobe does the same with sharpening, Topaz may have to shift their business model back to "effect" products rather than processing. Personally, I really wish Topaz would bring back their classic effects and update Adjust AI and Studio.

Photo AI on the left; Adobe on the right. R7 at 6400 ISO
Screenshot 2023-04-18 at 11.48.25 AM.jpg

In this example, Adobe beats Topaz by correctly identifying the noise in and behind the trees, which seems to have confused Topaz Photo AI. When I get more time, I'll run some comparisons to Topaz DeNoise AI. I went with Photo AI because that's where Topaz is putting all their development efforts. If Adobe does the same with sharpening, Topaz may have to shift their business model back to "effect" products rather than processing. Personally, I really wish Topaz would bring back their classic effects and update Adjust AI and Studio.

Photo AI on the left; Adobe on the right. R7 at 6400 ISO
View attachment 14938
Hi Tony,

+1 for Topaz Studio 2 and Adjust AI. (The former still works on my latest tech, but the latter has slipped beneath the waves).

Phil

Just fooling around and I'm not expert in PP. The "L0RD1632-topaz-enhance-denoiseraw-sharpen-4096PX.jpg" file was a RAW file processed in Topaz Photo AI
The "L0RD1632-Enhanced-SR-4096PX.jpg" was enhanced in ACR 12.3. This doubles the resolution. It then was manually sharpened and denoised in ACR.
File named "L0RD1632-Enhanced-NR-4096PX.jpg" was denoised using the new feature in ACR 12.3, opened in PS CC and sized up in Topaz Gigapixel AI.
I'm sure my methodology is erratic here but these are interesting results. I will be pursuing it further. If the metadata fails, this image was shot at ISO 12800 but not underexposed.
I am so accustomed to having the ability to zoom to 100% that I forgot it cannot be done here. I have added some cropped images for a closer look.

Attachments

• L0RD1632-topaz-enhance-denoiseraw-sharpen-4096PX.jpg
    L0RD1632-topaz-enhance-denoiseraw-sharpen-4096PX.jpg
    614.8 KB · Views: 54
  • L0RD1632-Enhanced-SR-4096PX.jpg
    L0RD1632-Enhanced-SR-4096PX.jpg
    775.9 KB · Views: 53
  • L0RD1632-Enhanced-NR-4096PX.jpg
    L0RD1632-Enhanced-NR-4096PX.jpg
    676.9 KB · Views: 52
  • L0RD1632-Enhanced-NR-Crop.jpg
    L0RD1632-Enhanced-NR-Crop.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 45
  • L0RD1632-Enhanced-SR-Crop.jpg
    L0RD1632-Enhanced-SR-Crop.jpg
    757.3 KB · Views: 57
  • L0RD1632-topaz-enhance-denoiseraw-sharpen-Crop.jpg
    L0RD1632-topaz-enhance-denoiseraw-sharpen-Crop.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Now you can push Texture, Sharpening and Detail so much more. This is my favourite test file from 2020. ISO 16,000 with my R.

No NR

NN by MPC, on Flickr

Denoise. I guess the new acronym is now ADN?

DN by MPC, on Flickr

Final cropped

_N4A3907-Enhanced-NR by MPC, on Flickr

Last edited:
I did make a mistake with my last post which I corrected. It was - ISO 16,000 with my R. I forgot to add - Wow!

Well this was a timely update to wake up to. I'd been pondering whether to extend LRC with one of the denoise programmes I see referenced everywhere - in fact I got very close to pushing the button on Topaz PhotoAI over the weekend, but now the urgency is greatly diminished.

My motivation was a recent session photographing one of NZ's most charming little native birds, the piwakawaka, or fantail (Rhipidura fuliginosa). They often flutter around when you're walking through the bush, or in this case, our garden. They are happy to pose, but are rapid movers when they choose, and they much prefer the gloomy undergrowth and shrubbery to well-lit open air.

This shot was taken at ISO 25,600 (I use Fv with auto ISO, setting shutter speed and letting aperture and ISO look after themselves). This version was the best I could do in LRC until this morning...

Fantailbefore-8869.jpg
  • Canon EOS R6
  • RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM
  • 500.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 25600

After treatment (at 75% on the slider)...

Fantailafter-.jpg
  • Canon EOS R6
  • RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM
  • 500.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 25600

I'm impressed. I shall be going back over quite a few shots I'd effectively written off as being too noisy to bother with. But I'll also be playing with the amount slider. Although the detail in the feathers is excellent, the background and branch almost look over-smoothed to me. Or perhaps its just that I grew up with the grain in Tri-X and Kodachrome... ;-)

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back