Your Lightroom Classic Tips and Tricks...

PKM-UK

Veteran Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Phil Moore
For users of this software who may not have picked these up already, some quick tips and tricks I find useful (including a recent find!).

Please feel free to add yours... :)

Phil

1. Use "Snapshots' to quickly compare different crops/ adjustments/ edits etc... I find this function a really effective way to compare/ demonstrate different options.

RF-S-1.jpg

2. Draw a Linear Gradient off an image to apply a mask evenly across it, then make 'global adjustments' and selectively modify them (Add/ Subtract/ Intersect). In the below example I set Saturation to -100 to produce a B&W style image, then 'Subtracted' from the mask using Objects to selectively add colour back. You can get quite creative using different permutations of adjustments/ modifications. (Other global masking options are available, but I find the Linear Gradient is easy).

RF-S-1-5.jpg

3. Bonus tip - In the below example I've used this method to apply a Curve adjustment (now available with the latest update) to the entire image and because it's a 'mask' I can also adjust the 'Amount' - something which would not be available using the normal Tone Curve tool in Lr C. I find this gives me fine control over the Curve adjustment without any frustrating fiddling about with points.

RF-S-2.jpg

Last edited:
There are very 3rd party B&W apps out there but I like to mess around with it myself. I found a few videos and use a bit from each one. I've had up to 40 masks at times.

There are very 3rd party B&W apps out there but I like to mess around with it myself. I found a few videos and use a bit from each one. I've had up to 40 masks at times.

Hi Only RF,

Thanks for those links - I'll certainly be checking them out as time permits (Bookmarks added!). '40 masks' sounds like you had plenty of fun... :)

I've also been known to wander around in DxO FilmPack/ Nik Collection and Topaz Labs Studio 2 playing with various B&W tools (and Photoshop masking). There's so much terrific software available.

Phil

Not sure how much this will help these days but you never know. Before LrC's advanced masking I had to occasionally go into PS. It would send the file back to LrC as a TIFF but now I had two files, the TIFF and original RAW. I would only want to export the TIFF because it had advanced editing. If I had a few hundred files that messed up the number sequencing.

So I wouldn't forget I would immediately flag the RAW file once the TIFF came back. At the end of the edit I chose Edit - Select Flagged Photos. Then I chose Edit - Invert Selection. Now all the RAW files that didn't go to PS and the TIFFS were selected for export. The RAW files that were sent to PS were not selected.

Hi Only RF,

Thanks for those links - I'll certainly be checking them out as time permits (Bookmarks added!). '40 masks' sounds like you had plenty of fun... :)

I've also been known to wander around in DxO FilmPack/ Nik Collection and Topaz Labs Studio 2 playing with various B&W tools (and Photoshop masking). There's so much terrific software available.

Phil
Once Adobe fixed the memory leaks and improved performance it never even burps. Smooth sailing these days.

I've been watching this fellows videos about Adobe Denoise and I'm starting to like his presentations. I've added one things from this video. Solo for the panels.

Last edited:
I wonder if there should be a sticky for these types of videos. I suspect there will be people thinking about getting LrC getting a good start goes a long way. I've read threads of years of not managing a few basic things and then the catalogue is a disaster. Even though people are aware and have good intent to re-link a folders sometimes forget and the same thing happens.

I've been watching this fellows videos about Adobe Denoise and I'm starting to like his presentations. I've added one things from this video. Solo for the panels.

Thanks for sharing this link. I will definitely have to watch it later.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back