Your Lightroom Classic Tips and Tricks...

This is indeed a very useful addition to Lightroom. Last November, I offered a method of using curves in LR masks knowing well that it would arrive one day soon. Here is how that worked with a trip to ACR and back.

This is indeed a very useful addition to Lightroom. Last November, I offered a method of using curves in LR masks knowing well that it would arrive one day soon. Here is how that worked with a trip to ACR and back.
Thanks. I'll check it out.

I spend a little time at the Lightroom Queen's site. To save time someone asked how to Denoise only files from ISO 3200 and higher. I messed around with it and came up with a procedure and one of experts refined it. You can also do this with collections but I like this approach.
  1. In Library Grid view select metadata
  2. Use the Library filter and select a column to set for ISO Speed
  3. Click on the entry for 3200
  4. Shift-click on the final entry in that column and it selects all the speeds from 3200 and upwards
  5. Go to the Develop module
  6. Edit > Select All (if required)
  7. Denoise
  8. Back to Library
  9. Select All ISO speeds
  10. Back to Develop

Attachments

• Denoise-.jpg
    Denoise-.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 44
A while back, I was trying to select images in Lightroom by a variety of criteria, and mostly not working. Then, I stumbled on a very useful plugin for Lightroom, Any Filter. It makes selecting images on a variety of metadata a simple task. It is very affordable and highly useful.

I'm processing our raw files from a recent zoo trip - lots of subjects (creatures/ environments/ things) with various 'white bits' in danger of blowing out. I don't necessarily want to treat the image/ subject globally - just the problem areas.

I select the problem areas as an Object, or Subject and then 'Intersect With' Luminance Range - pushing the value to the right. This refines the selection to just the brightest bits of the Object/ Subject, allowing me to treat them selectively.

(This technique, if reversed, can also be used to select/ treat the dark bits and, if modified, could treat colours).

Phil

Example -

RF-S-PP-1.jpg

Last edited:
For users of this software who may not have picked these up already, some quick tips and tricks I find useful (including a recent find!).

Please feel free to add yours... :)

Phil

1. Use "Snapshots' to quickly compare different crops/ adjustments/ edits etc... I find this function a really effective way to compare/ demonstrate different options.

View attachment 15412

2. Draw a Linear Gradient off an image to apply a mask evenly across it, then make 'global adjustments' and selectively modify them (Add/ Subtract/ Intersect). In the below example I set Saturation to -100 to produce a B&W style image, then 'Subtracted' from the mask using Objects to selectively add colour back. You can get quite creative using different permutations of adjustments/ modifications. (Other global masking options are available, but I find the Linear Gradient is easy).

View attachment 15415

3. Bonus tip - In the below example I've used this method to apply a Curve adjustment (now available with the latest update) to the entire image and because it's a 'mask' I can also adjust the 'Amount' - something which would not be available using the normal Tone Curve tool in Lr C. I find this gives me fine control over the Curve adjustment without any frustrating fiddling about with points.

View attachment 15407
Good grief - #2 makes it an absolutely quick piece-of-cake... THNX!

By way of a 'bump' -

Some neat sky selection refinement tips and tricks from Todd Dominey can be found Here (including 'subtracting the sky from the sky'! :) ).

Phil

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back