Your Lightroom Classic Tips and Tricks...

Fixing Masks

Ya, I've done edges of masks this way and similar ways. If the brush and feather are set just right, it can be very effective.

I succumbed to LrC. There were many things that stopped me from using it, the biggest one was the use of a Library. I hate the concept, I'm used to have a NAS with a folder structure that I know and a folder name convention that I know, and even when I recognize how good in finding photos is to have a library with tags, I still hate the concept and just because of that I was not even thinking about using LrC.

The second point stopping me from using it was the Subscription. I was used to buy and own the software and pay for updates and upgrades as needed. The problem is that updates and upgrades have started to get costly in the last 10 years. I own Corel PaintShop Pro. An upgrade cost me around $60~$70 mostly every year. So at the end is like some kind of subscription I have. And this made me rethink my position with subscriptions. If I can pay few dollars yearly that impacts me less than paying a big junk whenever a new version is released.

So I succumbed to LrC, I installed the trial and I'm really impressed with what I can do and how fast I can do it. I still use some plugins with LrC like Luminar AI, Topaz denoise and sharpness and Radiant. But I find myself using them less and less. At this point I import, "Develop" and once I export delete the photo from the library. In this way I'm not using the "hated by me" library concept. My exports go to my loved Folder Structure System that I have.

I still convert everything from Cr3 to DNG using DxOPureRaw and after that import to LrC. I have seen some good reviews about the Adobe Denoise option in the Enhancement feature of LrC so I still have to experiment with that and compare it to what I get from DxO. Can you apply the Adobe Denoise AI in an import Preset? I'm talking about the one included in the Enhancement feature?

I'm glad that I found this this thread.

Over the years I've read about the dislikes about using a catalogue system. I'm not convince you to like it. This may or may not help. Not sure how this affects NAS. I store my files on an external drive which is backed up daily by CCC to another drive. My catalogue is on the HD. That gets backed up to the HD whenever I shut down LrC. My HD is backed up to a 3rd drive using Mac's Time Machine.

A few things about the catalogue system is it is just a mirror of your OS folder structure. The only reason for importing is so LrC's catalogue can read the files metadata but most importantly so it knows where the files are located. I can make changes to any one the following folder structures and the others will auto update.

The only thing to remember is if you move a folder outside of LrC you just have to let it know where you moved it. I call that simple maintenance. That is why always move folders using LrC because I never have to worry about it. Even simpler. That's really all that there is to it. I run a tidy house. 12 years of Lightroom version upgrades which at times included catalogue upgrades and never a single issue. The first few days of setting everything up is important. After that it's a breeze.

The collections you can create and key word searching really adds to the whole thing. All your edits are there forever so never have to keep your exported files. I have wedding folders going back ten years and they live as RAW files. I don't have a single Jpeg saved.

Here is my LrC folder structure.

LrC.jpg

These are Canon's DPP and OS structures. The only reason that years 2006 to 2010 are missing in the LrC folder structure above is because I didn't start using Lightroom until 2011. I could open DXO PL, C1 Pro or any other software and see the same thing.

DPP.jpg
OS.jpg

The advantage of importing and LrC reading metadata. In Canons' DPP I purposely underexposed a file. As you can see it didn't affect the file in LrC. DPP is a non destructive editor. I have not tested this with a destructive editor. I think in LrC you get a warning which would ask if you want make changes to the metadata.

Screenshot-2023-11-17-at-10.02.12 AM.jpg

Screenshot-2023-11-17-at-10.03.18 AM.jpg

I succumbed to LrC. There were many things that stopped me from using it, the biggest one was the use of a Library. I hate the concept, I'm used to have a NAS with a folder structure that I know and a folder name convention that I know, and even when I recognize how good in finding photos is to have a library with tags, I still hate the concept and just because of that I was not even thinking about using LrC.

The second point stopping me from using it was the Subscription. I was used to buy and own the software and pay for updates and upgrades as needed. The problem is that updates and upgrades have started to get costly in the last 10 years. I own Corel PaintShop Pro. An upgrade cost me around $60~$70 mostly every year. So at the end is like some kind of subscription I have. And this made me rethink my position with subscriptions. If I can pay few dollars yearly that impacts me less than paying a big junk whenever a new version is released.

So I succumbed to LrC, I installed the trial and I'm really impressed with what I can do and how fast I can do it. I still use some plugins with LrC like Luminar AI, Topaz denoise and sharpness and Radiant. But I find myself using them less and less. At this point I import, "Develop" and once I export delete the photo from the library. In this way I'm not using the "hated by me" library concept. My exports go to my loved Folder Structure System that I have.

I still convert everything from Cr3 to DNG using DxOPureRaw and after that import to LrC. I have seen some good reviews about the Adobe Denoise option in the Enhancement feature of LrC so I still have to experiment with that and compare it to what I get from DxO. Can you apply the Adobe Denoise AI in an import Preset? I'm talking about the one included in the Enhancement feature?

Hi Frank,

Welcome to LrC! A fair bit to unpack and respond to, so bear with me if I don’t cover all your points (hopefully others will chip in).

Firstly, everyone will have their own workflow and if it works for them, it’s the right one for them. So, my workflow is different from yours (and it works for me) - in fact I have several different workflows which I generally bend and adapt depending on where I’m taking an image. However, I hope we can agree we are both ‘right’! :)

So, bearing all that in mind, to address your points -

I’ve only ever known and used LrC as my image processing and library hub (I’ve never had any major problems). The Catalogue is (basically) a database, it doesn’t contain the image files. My Catalogue sits on an external SSD and points to/ interfaces with and reflects the folder structure sitting on multiple SSD's which contain my image (and sidecar) files. My Catalogue/ images are backed up to different SSD's (both internal, external - and off site).

(I still occasionally lose stuff, but that's because I'm a klutz).

I used to have a ‘perpetual LrC licence’, only upgrading to the subscription model when I moved to the R System. I don’t have a major problem with the subscription concept - in the UK (and Europe) Amazon have regular Adobe Creative Cloud package sales during which I’ve picked up annual licences for as little as £46.72 (/ 12 = £3.89 p.m.). These licences can be stacked/ banked. This provides me with regular updates and user benefits across a range of excellent Adobe software products. By comparison, I also use DxO and Topaz Labs products which have theoretical ‘perpetual licences’ - but to get the big feature updates I have to pay as much (or more - depending on their BF sales) to each of them as I do to Adobe. Having said that, I don’t mind - I appreciate they have to pay their software engineers and I want to use the latest software for my hobby. (My money, my choice!).

I also use various plug-ins with LrC/ Photoshop (and DxO PhotoLab Elite). I retain our raw files and final *.jpegs (occasionally - but rarely - some of the intermediate DNG’s/ TIFF’s). The files sit in the folders on my SSD’s, but I can still readily browse/ search/ filter - or re-edit them via the LrC Catalogue.

I did trial the first iteration of DxO PureRAW, but chose to buy the full PhotoLab Elite package (with the tipping point coming after DxO 'kindly' offered me a worthwhile discount!). In terms of NR, where detail and colour retention are paramount and particularly with higher ISO files, I would (personally) rank the offerings - DxO, Topaz, Adobe (though all can produce very good results!). Which products I use - and in which order - very much depends on the image file and intended outcome.

I don’t believe you can include/ apply Adobe Denoise in an Import Preset - or via Develop/ Sync Settings - and I would recommended against this as the Denoise function is neither automatic, or adaptive - the ‘best’ settings will depend on each file/ user experience. As far as I know Adobe Denoise will not currently work with *.jpgs or *.DNG’s. (However, you can use the Topaz apps to ‘polish/ refine/ correct’ DxO *.DNG’s).

Phil

Sorry I forgot to answer this part. No you cannot apply Denoise AI as an import preset yet but you can batch Enhance. Here is an article and at the end he talks about future plans.

https://blog.adobe.com/en/publish/2023/04/18/denoise-demystified

FIY. When Adobe Denoise was first released (v12.3) the DNG files were huge. Since LrC 13 they are ⅓ the size.

Hi Frank,

Welcome to LrC! A fair bit to unpack and respond to, so bear with me if I don’t cover all your points (hopefully others will chip in).

Firstly, everyone will have their own workflow and if it works for them, it’s the right one for them. So, my workflow is different from yours (and it works for me) - in fact I have several different workflows which I generally bend and adapt depending on where I’m taking an image. However, I hope we can agree we are both ‘right’! :)

So, bearing all that in mind, to address your points -

I’ve only ever known and used LrC as my image processing and library hub (I’ve never had any major problems). The Catalogue is (basically) a database, it doesn’t contain the image files. My Catalogue sits on an external SSD and points to/ interfaces with and reflects the folder structure sitting on multiple SSD's which contain my image (and sidecar) files. My Catalogue/ images are backed up to different SSD's (both internal, external - and off site).

(I still occasionally lose stuff, but that's because I'm a klutz).

I used to have a ‘perpetual LrC licence’, only upgrading to the subscription model when I moved to the R System. I don’t have a major problem with the subscription concept - in the UK (and Europe) Amazon have regular Adobe Creative Cloud package sales during which I’ve picked up annual licences for as little as £46.72 (/ 12 = £3.89 p.m.). These licences can be stacked/ banked. This provides me with regular updates and user benefits across a range of excellent Adobe software products. By comparison, I also use DxO and Topaz Labs products which have theoretical ‘perpetual licences’ - but to get the big feature updates I have to pay as much (or more - depending on their BF sales) to each of them as I do to Adobe. Having said that, I don’t mind - I appreciate they have to pay their software engineers and I want to use the latest software for my hobby. (My money, my choice!).

I also use various plug-ins with LrC/ Photoshop (and DxO PhotoLab Elite). I retain our raw files and final *.jpegs (occasionally - but rarely - some of the intermediate DNG’s/ TIFF’s). The files sit in the folders on my SSD’s, but I can still readily browse/ search/ filter - or re-edit them via the LrC Catalogue.

I did trial the first iteration of DxO PureRAW, but chose to buy the full PhotoLab Elite package (with the tipping point coming after DxO 'kindly' offered me a worthwhile discount!). In terms of NR, where detail and colour retention are paramount and particularly with higher ISO files, I would (personally) rank the offerings - DxO, Topaz, Adobe (though all can produce very good results!). Which products I use - and in which order - very much depends on the image file and intended outcome.

I don’t believe you can include/ apply Adobe Denoise in an Import Preset - or via Develop/ Sync Settings - and I would recommended against this as the Denoise function is neither automatic, or adaptive - the ‘best’ settings will depend on each file/ user experience. As far as I know Adobe Denoise will not currently work with *.jpgs or *.DNG’s. (However, you can use the Topaz apps to ‘polish/ refine/ correct’ DxO *.DNG’s).

Phil
Thanks Phil. I was an about to add the part about the catalogue and files being separate. When I first installed LR5 in 2011 it took a few weeks to realize this. When you see the word catalogue you can first assume that would be your files. Maybe not everyone but it happened to me. I really like this video from post #7.

https://rfshooters.com/threads/your-lightroom-classic-tips-and-tricks.2826/#post-13302

A good link as well.

Thanks for the replies guys, @Only RF , there is nothing in the Earth that can convince me to use a Catalogue/Library or whatever anyone wants to call it. I do not keep my RAW files and I know that many will jump to kill me for that but, hey, I'm a hobbyist and once I edit my photos and save them as JPG I'm happy enough with them. May be for a Pro all those concepts of catalogues and saving RAWs make a lot of sense but they are not for me, at least at this point of my life. To be honest, I'm extremely happy that I found a way to use LrC keeping the catalogue empty. :p

@Only RF I really appreciate the fact that you went the extra mile showing me what the Catalogue system is all about. I really do. Thanks!

@PKM-UK sorry, like you said, we both agree that everyone has it's own workflow and if it works for that person there is nothing wrong with that. I worked as Database developer and Administrator for over two decades and probably that's one of the facts and reasons why I do not want to deal with catalogues. I was trying to simplify the whole "Denoise" workflow. Like you depending on the noise I play around with the Denoise method to use. Right now when I comeback from a taking pictures I pass everything through DxO and later if I still some more "denoising" I add more with Topaz. Since I use DxO and LrC I'm using more Topaz Sharpening. Thanks for sharing your Work flow. You always learn from others' experiences.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back