JoeTheSnowPlowGuy

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
AJ
I had been doing some experimenting with different types of shutter usage in the R6 Mk II in light conditions that require the use of ISO 3200+, to see there is a noise difference between mechanical shutters and EFCS and E only.

So far my hypothesis from my LR observations of the .CR3 files (CRAW) is that electronic shutter usage to include EFCS, produces more color noise than mechanical shutter usage. I shot a corporate event at ISO 3200 using EFCS and the color noise in some of the images was noticeable without correction.

On the flip side I shot an ice hockey game at ISO 3200, and a wrestling match at ISO 6400 in mechanical shutter mode and the noise production was mostly luminance noise, color noise was minimal to non existent. Such little noise that I did zero noise reduction on my hockey photos and 25 strength denoise AI in LR on the wrestling photos, though frankly, they didn’t really need it. The reduction took out the small amount of color noise that was present and did a bit of tidying on the luminance noise.

Now, the difference is I shot both ice hockey and wrestling at +1/3 to +1 EV and the corporate event and -1/3 to 0 EV. To test this hypothesis I am going to set up a controlled shot at a slight + EV using all three shutter modes. Then we can all pixel peep to our hearts content and decide if there is any difference.

Consider shooting some shots at ISO 3200 and +1 EC, and some at ISO 6400 with 0 EC, and compare noise.

Very interesting topic. :cool:

Could this also be due to the fact that in electronic shutter mode the raw files are only 12 bit, while with mechanical shutter they're 14 bit?

Only the R3 has 14 bit ES raw files thanks to the stacked sensor...

Could this also be due to the fact that in electronic shutter mode the raw files are only 12 bit, while with mechanical shutter they're 14 bit?

Only the R3 has 14 bit ES raw files thanks to the stacked sensor...
I'm still on the fence with this one. I would prefer to shoot in 14 bit but the R7 shutter is a little noisy and you can feel the slap in your hand so I used ES with it. I have no issues shooting EFCS with my R6II.

Ok, I was able to get some test shots off tonight. These are shot with only a neutral grey color checker card. I took each setting 3 times. One with mechanical, then one EFCS, then one electronic. I will post each group in its own post. I will skip 400 and 1600 ISO as both of these groups of shots looked identical. All photos converted to 100% JPEG with zero edits in LR. I couldn't post the .CR3 files. All shots are CRAW format. I shot all shutter types at the same settings same exposure value of 0 and I think the mechanical shots are brighter than the electronic shots.

I think the mechanical shots look a bit cleaner than the electronic shots, but that might just be confirmation bias towards mechanical shutter.

R6 Mark 2, RF 50mm STM

Last edited:
ISO 3200 0EV

Attachments

• Mechanical 3200.jpg
    Mechanical 3200.jpg
    291.6 KB · Views: 23
  • EFCS 3200.jpg
    EFCS 3200.jpg
    302.6 KB · Views: 23
  • ELEC 3200.jpg
    ELEC 3200.jpg
    300.6 KB · Views: 24
ISO 6400 0EV

Attachments

• Mechanical 6400.jpg
    Mechanical 6400.jpg
    372.5 KB · Views: 20
  • EFCS 6400.jpg
    EFCS 6400.jpg
    382.9 KB · Views: 29
  • ELEC 6400.jpg
    ELEC 6400.jpg
    391.1 KB · Views: 21
ISO 12800 0EV

Attachments

• Mechanical 12800.jpg
    Mechanical 12800.jpg
    492.7 KB · Views: 24
  • EFCS 12800.jpg
    EFCS 12800.jpg
    506.2 KB · Views: 23
  • ELEC 12800.jpg
    ELEC 12800.jpg
    521 KB · Views: 26

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back