Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Frank J
City/State
SPRING HILL, FL
I have been checking the best I can (on my TV) what camera brands are being used in the Olympic Games and I'm under the impression that one more time Sony is on top of any other brands followed by Canon. I have not spotted yet any Nikon.

I wonder if we have anyone here in the forum currently in the Olympic Games that can confirm or deny this observation.

I was not expecting this one: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS III USM +1.4x III !!!!

I was not expecting this one: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS III USM +1.4x III !!!!
When you're sticking it in a diving bell you go with what you know. ;)

Screenshot 2024-07-29 at 9.30.37 AM.png

I was wondering how they did it! A diving bell? Wow!

It surprised me to see the lens and extender combination. It would not be easier to use in those conditions the EF100-400?

I was wondering how they did it! A diving bell? Wow!

It surprised me to see the lens and extender combination. It would not be easier to use in those conditions the EF100-400?
New and sports photographers are a different breed. f2.8 + 1.4x is faster and likely sharper than the 100-400mm by itself. Also the lens used may be limited by the underwater housing. I was watching surfing and saw a number of different systems. I found this specifically for the 1D Mk III and it states "Allows use of lenses from a 15mm fisheye lens to a 180mm macro lens. Tele-converter port extensions are also available." Not sure how it protects the lens, but for that kind of money...

Speechless! Well, I would not trust to stick in a $6000 in something with a price tag lot smaller than the camera. Make sense.
If you want to be even more speechless dig around on the site and check out the mirrorless versions there are videos of how these things work. They are incredibly engineered.

How do you tell the in-use camera distribution from that?
From that link it's impossible.

I mainly just try to find on the TV what are the most noticeable brands. I see a lot of Sony and Canons, that many Nikons. But it's not some scientifically based. It's just an appreciation. I asked a photographer that I know that is there but he is a Canon ambassador so of course his answer was biased.

I saw it yesterday, I debating if it's fake. The right foot position looks unnatural to me. If it's not fake, it's a heck of a picture.
I've seen video of the ride and the kickout afterward. Absolutely genuine taken by a guy ready for that exact shot. It's what the pros do because they know what's happening and what's going to happen, because it's not their first rodeo.

I know someone who worked news for 25 years (won a Pulitzer and multiple news photographer of the year awards). He told me that he can tell the great photographers by where they are when nothing is going on - they're in the spot where they have the best chance of getting a shot (or THE shot) when whatever is supposed to happen, happens. They don't need to react and shoot, they only need to shoot.

From that link it's impossible.

I mainly just try to find on the TV what are the most noticeable brands. I see a lot of Sony and Canons, that many Nikons. But it's not some scientifically based. It's just an appreciation. I asked a photographer that I know that is there but he is a Canon ambassador so of course his answer was biased.
I've seen a lot of Nikons as well. A lot more than in Olympics past. Ton more Sonys than in the past, but that's been a ramp up over the entire mirrorless age. It's going to be interesting to see if the R1 and R5II make inroads into Sony's grip on news organizations. Nikon's professional services is disgraceful, but they have their devotees in certain genres, but that's all individuals.

I've seen video of the ride and the kickout afterward. Absolutely genuine taken by a guy ready for that exact shot. It's what the pros do because they know what's happening and what's going to happen, because it's not their first rodeo.

I know someone who worked news for 25 years (won a Pulitzer and multiple news photographer of the year awards). He told me that he can tell the great photographers by where they are when nothing is going on - they're in the spot where they have the best chance of getting a shot (or THE shot) when whatever is supposed to happen, happens. They don't need to react and shoot, they only need to shoot.
I have not seen the video. Beside being ready and picked the right place and be in the right moment, you need luck. ;)

He was on a
Wow I just watched the video! Amazing! Unbelievable!
Was just digging it up. For others...

As for the shot, apparently exits off waves like this are something Gabriel Medina is known for. Photographers are on boats kept in places where they can get shots of the riders in the pipe as it goes past. As the photographer has said, after that ride he was waiting for this type of moment, not knowing what he'd do only that he was bound to do something. Because he'd been there before with that guy, and as this other video shows, this wasn't atypical.

As I said elsewhere, the amount of preparation that goes into these shots before the event even starts is staggering.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back