Martin-123

Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Martin McCann
Hi, Does anyone understand the Canon nomenclature for cameras and lenses? ... or can anyone direct me to an explanation, please? TIA.

Hi, Does anyone understand the Canon nomenclature for cameras and lenses? ... or can anyone direct me to an explanation, please? TIA.
Hi Martin,

I hope I’ve got a grip of the gist of it… :cool: Some useful resources are available Here.

I’m the sort of person that only reads manuals as I’m about to replace something, then realise what I’ve been missing… :rolleyes: but cameras and lenses are one exception. I strongly recommend you read the R5 manual and regularly refer back to it.

If you have any specific questions, I’m sure someone will be able to help.

(There are various in-depth books available on setting up/ using the R5, but as I haven’t read any I can’t single one out).

Phil

Hi Martin,

I hope I’ve got a grip of the gist of it… :cool: Some useful resources are available Here.

I’m the sort of person that only reads manuals as I’m about to replace something, then realise what I’ve been missing… :rolleyes: but cameras and lenses are one exception. I strongly recommend you read the R5 manual and regularly refer back to it.

(There are various in-depth books available on setting up/ using the R5, but as I haven’t read any I can’t single one out).

Phil
Thanks Phil.

Hi Martin,

Phil
Hi Phil, Having thanked you for your message, something about it stuck in my mind so I went back to read it again more carefully. I see now how very patronising it is to me. I do hope the other members of this community are more helpful.
For your future reference, If you think my questions are beneath you, or you simply don't know the answer to them, feel completely free to move along.

Hi Phil, Having thanked you for your message, something about it stuck in my mind so I went back to read it again more carefully. I see now how very patronising it is to me. I do hope the other members of this community are more helpful.
For your future reference, If you think my questions are beneath you, or you simply don't know the answer to them, feel completely free to move along.
Hi Martin,

I'm mortified if you think I was being patronising, or if that's the way my post has come across, that was certainly not my intention.

If you would like to check my posts here and on DPReview (PMUK) I believe you will find I have tried my very best to help many people with their R System questions/ issues - and that is what I was endeavouring to do here.

I have read the R5 and R7 (and R) manuals from end to end several times and I constantly refer back to them - essential reading (for me). I've also browsed RP, R6/ R6 II manuals in my efforts to help others from time to time.

The guides provided by RF-Shooters, which I linked to, are an ideal source of reference/ information and tips for new R System users.

Finally, we also use Sony cameras and I am aware that differences in terminology can be confusing, but I don't know what you don't know and I don't have access to any A-Z quick guides (I did a web search before replying).

If you feel my advice is of no use to you then that's fine, hopefully others will be able to assist you. With a somewhat heavy heart and still mystified as to where I went wrong in your eyes, I bid you a well intentioned farewell...

Phil

Last edited:
You weren’t very specific in your OP and received a general response pointing you to resources. I’m not sure how you read that as patronizing. PMUK has never been patronizing here or anywhere else. If anything, they’re (husband and wife - but I think just husband posts?) slow to pick up on sarcasm because their efforts to help are so sincere all the time. 😉

What I’m not clear on when you say cameras and lenses - are you looking for EF vs EF-S and L vs consumer. And with cameras - what’s an X series vs XX, XXX, or even XXXX? Admittedly confusing sometimes in the Canon world.

Or are you looking for terminology. Like what does Canon use for Continuous AF (Servo)? Canon does have continuous AF but it’s not like Sony or Nikon. On newer Canon cameras they changed Continuous AF to Preview AF I guess because of the confusion.

I’m the sort of person that only reads manuals as I’m about to replace something, then realise what I’ve been missing… :rolleyes: but cameras and lenses are one exception.

I couldn't agree with you more! Setting up a secure Wi-Fi network is intuitive, memorizing all the features of my R5 is not.

You weren’t very specific in your OP and received a general response pointing you to resources. I’m not sure how you read that as patronizing. PMUK has never been patronizing here or anywhere else. If anything, they’re (husband and wife - but I think just husband posts?) slow to pick up on sarcasm because their efforts to help are so sincere all the time. 😉

What I’m not clear on when you say cameras and lenses - are you looking for EF vs EF-S and L vs consumer. And with cameras - what’s an X series vs XX, XXX, or even XXXX? Admittedly confusing sometimes in the Canon world.

Or are you looking for terminology. Like what does Canon use for Continuous AF (Servo)? Canon does have continuous AF but it’s not like Sony or Nikon. On newer Canon cameras they changed Continuous AF to Preview AF I guess because of the confusion.
Hi JustUs7.
Thank you for your considered and constructive reply. I have no wish to make this a conflict so I will reply in likewise fashion.
I thought my question was quite specific. I’d like to understand Canon's system of naming cameras and lenses.
There are EOS R, EOS M, EOS RP, and EOS Ra, just at a quick glance among the mirrorless ones. (I know what EOS means), followed by a single or double digit number. The number seems a quite straightforward sequential increment except when it jumps to, eg, the EOS R50
Likewise there are EF lenses, EF-S, RF, RF-S, EF-M and L-series.

I am not asking anyone to tell me the differences between these cameras or lenses as I can obviously look that up myself, but I cannot find an explanation of the nomenclature. Unfortunately, Canon have adopted the modern marketing technique of telling you what you can use a product for instead of (when I was a lad), telling you what the product does (or is). Since the applications of cameras and lenses overlap to a very large degree, there are few clues to the nomenclature's rationale in the marketing copy, (I'd rather not spend hours trying to compare and analyse the narratives). I was hoping someone could point me towards something like the following example that Wikipedia offer on Mercedes nomenclature...

Until 1994, Mercedes-Benz utilized an alphanumeric system for categorizing their vehicles, consisting of a number sequence approximately equal to the engine's displacement in liters multiplied by 100, followed by an arrangement of alphabetical suffixes, indicating body style and engine type.
  • "C" indicates a coupe or cabriolet body style (for example, the CL and CLK models, though the C-Class is an exception, since it is also available as a sedan or station wagon).
  • "D" indicates the vehicle is equipped with a diesel engine.
  • "E" (for "Einspritzung") indicates the vehicle's engine is equipped with petrol fuel injection. Also used for electric models and plug-in hybrids.
  • "G" was originally used for the Geländewagen off-road vehicle, but is now applied to Mercedes SUVs in general (G, GLA, GLC, GLE, GLK, and GLS).
  • "K" was used in the 1930s, indicating a supercharger ("Kompressor") equipped engine. Three exceptions : the SLK, SSK and CLK, where K indicates "Kurz" (short-wheelbase) (though the SLK[66] and SSK had a supercharger).
  • "L" indicates "Leicht" (lightweight) for sporting models and "Lang" (long-wheelbase) for sedan models.
  • "R" indicates "Rennen" (racing), used for racing cars (for example, the 300SLR).
  • "S" Sonderklasse "Special class" for flagship models, including the S-Class, and SL-Class, SLR McLaren, and SLS sports cars.
  • "T" indicates "Touring" and an estate (or station wagon) body style.

Thank you to anyone who can provide this info.

With Canon the sequence is the more numbers in the model the less sophisticated the model. Also the lower the number(s) the more sophisticated. And again the higher the Mark the more advanced the model.

EOS 7D is more sophisticated than the EOS 77D
EOS 5D is more sophisticated than the EOS 7D
EOS 5D Mark VI is more sophisticated than the EOS 5D Mark III
The EOS Rebel (Kiss or ) are entry-level cameras.

This is why the EOS 1DX is considered the Flagship of Canon's DSLR's. The mirrorless equivalent will be the EOS R1 (currently the EOS R3 is the closest model)

The "L" series of lenses are higher quality and are better in the elements sand, rain, snow.

The discontinued Ra model is a modified version of the original R model that incorporates an Infra-Red filter for astrophotography. It is a dedicated camera.

Canon is no longer putting research and development in to DSLR's and those will be discontinued .

Other folks here will correct me is I am totally out in left field.

Last edited:
With Canon the sequence is the more numbers in the model the less sophisticated the model. Also the lower the number(s) the more sophisticated. And again the higher the Mark the more advanced the model.

EOS 7D is more sophisticated than the EOS 77D
EOS 5D is more sophisticated than the EOS 7D
EOS 5D Mark VI is more sophisticated than the EOS 5D Mark III
The EOS Rebel (Kiss or ) are entry-level cameras.

This is why the EOS 1DX is considered the Flagship of Canon's DSLR's. The mirrorless equivalent will be the EOS R1 (currently the EOS R3 is the closest model)

The "L" series of lenses are higher quality and are better in the elements sand, rain, snow.

The discontinued Ra model is a modified version of the original R model that incorporates an Infra-Red filter for astrophotography. It is a dedicated camera.

Other folks here will correct me is I am totally out in left field.
Thank you Dean. That does explain a lot.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back