Canon R5 Canon R5 and 800mm RF Lens

Alex Aitkenhead

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Alex Aitkenhead
We were in the field the other day and some how we lost our auto focus eye tracking in making a few changes to get this back on track it would appear that we must have changed a setting and we are getting a high level on noise and grain in our image. Looking to go back to what we would expect but just can’t find what we changed. Any advise would be welcomed, thanks

Hello and welcome.

Although you provide very little information, it sounds like you greatly increased the ISO setting on your camera, but that seems too trivial to be the problem. One would think if you own an R5 you'd know how ISO works?
I think we need more information. Like a photo of what the camera screen looks like maybe?

Perhaps you could do a factory reset and then read the manual to understand how the camera works.

Maybe a combination of a fast shutter speed, the f11 lens & very high iso.
Are you using auto ISO with the setting at the max. ISO (can be limited to a lower value in the menu) that might explain the excessive noise.
It might also explain how you got back the AF as you may have been underexposed to the point where the af struggled & raiding the iso solved that.
As Kwazy said, not really enough info to give a clear answer.

Alex…

Can you also let me know:
  • which mode your R5 is using: M, Av, or Tv;
  • which button you are using for focusing: the Shutter button or one of the three back buttons (typically AF-ON).
The underlined options are favoured by many.

…David

Seems to me you jumped from one setting to another by accident. Possibly you pressed the Mf-n button and you are in a custom function which doesn't have eye detect activated?
Could be many other things of course. You can always go back to the setting you want, M,TV,AV etc and start all over again checking off each setting as you scroll through the menu.

Another option would be to set up all your settings at home before you leave then save them to your SD card. Then if you screw up
out in the field just reload the settings. Voila problem solved.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back