Followers
Following
Name
Tim
City/State
Shropshire
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Canon firmware update 1.5.2 is now available for the R5.

Firmware Version 1.5.2 incorporates the following improvements:

1. Optimizes AutoFocus accuracy when Extender RF1.4x or Extender RF2x is attached to the RF800mm F5.6 L IS USM and RF1200mm F8 L IS USM lenses.
2. Enhances the stability of Eye Detection.
3. Enhances AutoFocus tracking when shooting moving subjects.

Firmware Version 1.5.2 is for cameras with firmware up to Version 1.5.1. If the camera's firmware is already Version 1.5.2, it is not necessary to update the firmware.

The firmware can be downloaded from Canon's Support Sites. US / Europe

Last edited:
Canon firmware update 1.5.2 is now available for the R5.

Firmware Version 1.5.2 incorporates the following improvements:

1. Optimizes AutoFocus accuracy when Extender RF1.4x or Extender RF2x is attached to the RF800mm F5.6 L IS USM and RF1200mm F8 L IS USM lenses.
2. Enhances the stability of Eye Detection.
3. Enhances AutoFocus tracking when shooting moving subjects.

Firmware Version 1.5.2 is for cameras with firmware up to Version 1.5.1. If the camera's firmware is already Version 1.5.2, it is not necessary to update the firmware.

The firmware can be downloaded from Canon's Support Sites. US / Europe
so is it only for those lenses and extenders being used ? for the Eye detection and AF tracking with moving subject's? or do they mean over all??

so is it only for those lenses and extenders being used ? for the Eye detection and AF tracking with moving subject's? or do they mean over all??
Point 1 is related to the new 800mm and 1200mm lenses. Points 2 and 3 are across the board.

No, you should not. I upgraded from 1.5.1 to 1.5.2 last week and all of the settings seem to be unchanged. That was also the case with the previous firmware upgrades.

I'll say this, animal eye focus was ill-effected in 1.5.1 to the point that I was wondering if something was broken. In 1.5.2 it's as good or better than it's ever been.

Just got around to upgrading my R5 firmware and played around in a gloomy garden to see if there are any visible improvements. I was going from 1.2 to 1.5.2 so some changes may have been a result from the earlier 1.5 improvements. The big thing I wanted to see was better eye tracking and so far so good. I had gone as far as switching to tried and tested spot focus methods because of the unreliability of animal eye tracking but the changes look very promising, particularly on my long haired dog. The tracking was noticeably more reliable, if a little jittery, and having found an eye it hung on much better than before. Well done Canon.

Attachments

• EYE TRACK-1506.jpg
    EYE TRACK-1506.jpg
    338.3 KB · Views: 60
  • EYE TRACK-1559.jpg
    EYE TRACK-1559.jpg
    421.7 KB · Views: 70

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back