Canon R6 RAW vs C-RAW extension display

Matsaly

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Edward
Hi,

I'm relatively new to my R6 and am a bit confused about how the selected RAW format is displayed. For example- When i shoot in RAW my images are displayed with the extension .CR3 and are about 22 mb file size. When. I select C-RAW the images are also displayed with the same extension .CR3 and are about 15 mb file size.

Is this "normal" behavior?

I would assume the smaller file size are the C-RAW images but find it a bit disconcerting that Canon would use the same extension for an uncompressed and compressed file.

Any help is appreciated.

Yes this is normal. There's no need to use different file extensions as the information within the .CR3 file structure tells the software opening the file how it is encoded.

Thank you for the help. I now understand that the extension designation .CR3 emcompasses regular compressed RAW files as well as lossy C-RAW files.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back