Followers
Following
Name
Kerro
City/State
Mandurah, Western Australia
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
I have been having a play today with PureRaw 2 and 3 and numerous editing programs. My conclusions are mixed and what I expected. The image attached shows original CR3 raw file, Pure Raw 2 file and the Pure Raw 3 file. All 3 images kept their respective Exif data.
When put into PS Beta and did a crop on the images, all 3 came back with no exif data no matter which format I saved them in. PS Beta has 3 ways to save. I also ran the files through Affinity, Luminar 4 and On 1 Raw 2018 and did the same crop. All retained the exif data in all of the respective save modes. Maybe I am missing something in PS coz I cant get the Exif to stay put after editing the files.
The denoise from the Pure Raw software is pretty amazing as can be seen by the image.
Just thought I'd run these tests for you all, to give you a bit info you may not have known.
All 3 as 1-original, 2-DXO-2, 3-DXO-3.jpg

Image 1 is CR3, image2 is PureRaw 2 and image 3 is Pure Raw 3

Last edited:
Hi Kerro,

I use DxO PhotoLab Elite (same NR tech as PureRAW - basically), Adobe Lightroom/ Photoshop and the Topaz Photo apps - along with a bunch of other stuff.

Files are passed around between these (various workflows apply depending on what I'm doing) I'm not aware of any problems retaining the exif data.

A typical workflow would be - import raw file into LrC -> DxO PL (raw file sent via plug-in) -> LrC (processed DNG) -> Photoshop (TIFF) -> LrC (TIFF).

What file format(s) are you using?

Phil

(DxO NR is amazing and - IMHO - the best, though I still use Adobe Denoise and Topaz Photo AI in some instances).

Hi Kerro,

I use DxO PhotoLab Elite (same NR tech as PureRAW - basically), Adobe Lightroom/ Photoshop and the Topaz Photo apps - along with a bunch of other stuff.

Files are passed around between these (various workflows apply depending on what I'm doing) I'm not aware of any problems retaining the exif data.

A typical workflow would be - import raw file into LrC -> DxO PL (raw file sent via plug-in) -> LrC (processed DNG) -> Photoshop (TIFF) -> LrC (TIFF).

What file format(s) are you using?

Phil
Phil, I'm using DNG, Tiff, png and jpg, depending on which stage of processing I'm at.

Phil, I'm using DNG, Tiff, png and jpg, depending on which stage of processing I'm at.
Hi Kerro,

I've just sent a DxO based DNG from LrC to Photoshop (it goes over as a TIFF), then saved it back to LrC as a png and jpg. The exif data was retained.

In conclusion, I have no idea what's going awry in your case - but there should be a solution (I just don't know what it is)... :)

Phil

Hi Kerro,

I've just sent a DxO based DNG from LrC to Photoshop (it goes over as a TIFF), then saved it back to LrC as a png and jpg. The exif data was retained.

In conclusion, I have no idea what's going awry in your case - but there should be a solution (I just don't know what it is)... :)

Phil
Phil , it appears the missing link is LRC. Although the purpose of the exercise was to put the PR2 and 3 files into PS, edit with a crop then save back out with PS. As soon as I edit a file with PS the save does not retain the exif data. Strangely, Affinity, On 1 Raw and Luminar 4 save every time.

Hi Kerro,

I've just imported one of our DxO DNG's direct into PS (via Camera Raw - not LrC) and saved this as a png and as a jpg. The exif was retained.

As far I'm aware the import/ export settings I'm using in PS are the defaults. (I'm using the standard Photoshop 2024, not the Beta).

(All very odd - if I can think of anything else for you to try I'll let you know, but in the meantime I refer you to my previous conclusions... :) ).

Phil

Last edited:
Hi Kerro,

I've just imported one of our DxO DNG's direct into PS (via Camera Raw - not LrC) and saved this as a png and as a jpg. The exif was retained.

As far I'm aware the import/ export settings I'm using in PS are the defaults. (I'm using the standard Photoshop 2024, not the Beta).

(All very odd - if I can think of anything else for you to try I'll let you know, but in the meantime I refer you to my previous conclusions... :) ).

Phil
I am using PS Beta. I'll try my tests on the normal PS and see how I go. Thanks for your efforts and thoughts Phil, they're greatly appreciated.

Hi Kerro,

Phil
Phil, after doing extensive testing in Photoshop, (not Beta), as soon as I save I still get no Exif data. The only info I do get is image size, how many MBs, 300dpi and 24bit. Even a straight import to PS and do nothing to it, and save it still shows no exif data. I even reinstalled and reset all preferences back to default. I did the same as you in your first line of your quote here but to no avail.

Phil, after doing extensive testing in Photoshop, (not Beta), as soon as I save I still get no Exif data. The only info I do get is image size, how many MBs, 300dpi and 24bit. Even a straight import to PS and do nothing to it, and save it still shows no exif data. I even reinstalled and reset all preferences back to default. I did the same as you in your first line of your quote here but to no avail.
Hi Kerro,

How odd. I've just sent a *.CR3 file across to PS from LrC and then exported/ imported it straight back as a TIFF (no edits). The exif is there.

I also imported the same file direct into PS and then exported it as a TIFF. Opening the TIFF in LrC the exif was as shown in the first example.

I've also imported a *.DNG file (exported from PhotoLab Elite) into PS, exported that as a TIFF and imported that into LrC - exif data still there.

I can't explain why the exif data is getting stripped out in your workflow.

(My system: MacBook Pro M1 Max, macOS Sonoma 14.0, LrC 13.0, Camera Raw 16.0, PS 25.0.0).

Phil

Left - Export of TIFF from PS/ Right - Metadata info from the exported TIFF in LrC...

RF-S-exif-1.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Kerro,

How odd. I've just sent a *.CR3 file across to PS from LrC and then exported/ imported it straight back as a TIFF (no edits). The exif is there.

I also imported the same file direct into PS and then exported it as a TIFF. Opening the TIFF in LrC the exif was as shown in the first example.

(My system: MacBook Pro M1 Max, macOS Sonoma 14.0, LrC 13.0, Camera Raw 16.0, PS 25.0.0).

Phil

Left - Export of TIFF from PS/ Right - Metadata info from the exported TIFF in LrC...

View attachment 20682
Phil, I am using Windows 11 on a fairly high spec machine. The only thing I can think of is, I am a Windows Insider user so there maybe something in there that affecting my version of PS as the insider copies of Windows are not necessarily stable. However, I do have a MacBook Pro and a fairly recent iMac 27, so I may install PS on them, (if I can get the wife off it for a while), and see how I go with that.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back