Followers
Following
Name
Bob Ulius
City/State
Northborough, MA
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
For YEARS I avoided moving to the Adobe Creative Cloud. Lightroom 6 gave me great results. As did Photoshop CS6. And I "owned" both. "R" gave me the reason to change. I argued with many other forum members elsewhere about just how badly DNG converter treated CR3 files. And it does. Found that I had to create tifs from my raws in Canon DPP to import into LR and file sizes bloated. But the editing worked as desired. And then lens profiles, masking, better high ISO noise reduction and it was time to at least test - then make the switch.

I still get furious that Adobe thinks my computer is theirs and loads a ton of tasks to phone home multiple times daily. Leaves a lot of temp files that do not clean up after themseleves. Will update things like Creative Cloud Desktop (3 times last week) with no incremental version change or Changelog or "What's New" to be found ANYWHERE. But, the reults are improved. Noticeably.

Sure, MANY changes in LR since 6.14 but it took me a day to feel right at home (after reading Victoria's book). Not so much with Photoshop. I truly am lost. The Move tool does not work as expected. I find my images scrolling in their container by themselves. Once I have pasted and sized an image in a layer, I can never find a way to return to it and resize. Clicking a layer sometimes does not make it active and I have to drag to the top of the layers stack. Just the ones off the top of my head.

So take that as a holler for help and a pointer to anywhere to quickly get more productive with Photoshop CC.

I understand you completely. I just recently switched to Creative Cloud after using CS5 and Lightroom 6...so I held out a bit longer than you...:cool:

I use Photoshop 25.0 (non CC) and am not really familiar with the differences, if any, between the CC version and the non CC version. But, I rely on YouTube for help with my favorite and long-time go to being Juliette Kost for both Lightroom as well as Photoshop. There are lots of other content providers out there besides her, but she has been my first choice for years.

You already have Victoria's book so you have basically the best around for Lightroom. On the Photoshop side, I really like the Adobe Photoshop Classroom in a Book. The 2023 version is by Conrad Chavez and is sort of like a bible for Photoshop.

I also visit the official Adobe forums as well, they have a dedicated forum for each of their products and it is often a good source of help on how to do something.

I am sure that some others will have some suggestions.

Hi Bryan.

25.0 and CC are the same in my mind. Unlike Lightroom that has a "Classic"and "CC" version (fire that product manager), there is only one Photoshop available today. Could be my error calling it "CC". The details of the .exe call it Photoshop 2024.

I think Julieanne is great. What I really need is a reasonably comprhensive "Moving from PS 6 to PS CC". There ARE good ones for LR 6 to CLassic. Just have not found one for Photoshop. Yet.

I will check out Conrad Chavez. Thanks!

I hate subscriptions. That's the main reason why I do not use Adobe products. I use Corel PaintShop Pro. But with the R7 due to the level of noise I have changed my Workflow.
1- I take all my pictures and pass it through DxO Pureraw, that denoise all pictures and convert then into DNG format.
2- After step 1, I post edit all of then using Corel PaintShop Pro.

One more thing I hate is software creating databases with my Pictures. The main reason is that while I'm processing the pictures I'm using a temp folder. Once I finish editing I move then to another final location. Having pictures in the "Adobe" database does not make sense when editing the pictures because I'll move them from the temp folder where they are locating when using "Adobe".

Pure Raw does a fabulous job. I almost went that way, but yet another step in my workflow. Looked at their complete solution and found it too lacking "for me". Could suit others nicely. But I do use Web module for proofing and a quick gallery upload. And a few other things missing for my taste.

For YEARS I avoided moving to the Adobe Creative Cloud. Lightroom 6 gave me great results. As did Photoshop CS6. And I "owned" both. "R" gave me the reason to change. I argued with many other forum members elsewhere about just how badly DNG converter treated CR3 files. And it does. Found that I had to create tifs from my raws in Canon DPP to import into LR and file sizes bloated. But the editing worked as desired. And then lens profiles, masking, better high ISO noise reduction and it was time to at least test - then make the switch.

I still get furious that Adobe thinks my computer is theirs and loads a ton of tasks to phone home multiple times daily. Leaves a lot of temp files that do not clean up after themseleves. Will update things like Creative Cloud Desktop (3 times last week) with no incremental version change or Changelog or "What's New" to be found ANYWHERE. But, the reults are improved. Noticeably.

Sure, MANY changes in LR since 6.14 but it took me a day to feel right at home (after reading Victoria's book). Not so much with Photoshop. I truly am lost. The Move tool does not work as expected. I find my images scrolling in their container by themselves. Once I have pasted and sized an image in a layer, I can never find a way to return to it and resize. Clicking a layer sometimes does not make it active and I have to drag to the top of the layers stack. Just the ones off the top of my head.

So take that as a holler for help and a pointer to anywhere to quickly get more productive with Photoshop CC.
Hi Bob,

There are some links to various tutorials (including PS) in this thread and some LrC tips and tricks in this thread.

Please feel free to add any others you may come across... :)

Phil

Hi Bryan.

25.0 and CC are the same in my mind. Unlike Lightroom that has a "Classic"and "CC" version (fire that product manager), there is only one Photoshop available today. Could be my error calling it "CC". The details of the .exe call it Photoshop 2024.

I think Julieanne is great. What I really need is a reasonably comprhensive "Moving from PS 6 to PS CC". There ARE good ones for LR 6 to CLassic. Just have not found one for Photoshop. Yet.

I will check out Conrad Chavez. Thanks!
You are correct about the CC/25.0 thing in that there has always been one version of Photoshop at one time. I had to re-educate myself just now to refresh my memory and found that CC (version 14) was version that replaced CS6 (version 13). Eventually they stopped using the CC moniker, but it is still confusing because Photoshop 2024, the current version here in 2023 is version 25. Yeah...some really strong logic at work there...haha.

I have not sent a file to or used PS for editing since LrC 11. LrC 13 should be out within the next ten days. These days I only use PS to edit and resize screen shots of text, etc. I on the other hand like the Photo Plan subscription. Major updates mid year while perpetual models make you wait until fall and you have to pay if you want it. l know you don't have to if you don't want it. You can subscribe any time of the year and get all the updates and annual version upgrade. If you buy a perpetual licence in August and when the new version is released in October you have to pay for the upgrade.

The Photo Plan includes up to 5 personal websites that are integrated with LrC via collections. Smart Previews (not the actual files) can be sent to the cloud (which use no storage space) and you can view/edit them from a mobile device. The edits sync back to your desktop.

Last edited:
Just read LrC 13 is out. Phased rollout so it may be a few days for some. I don't see it yet.

Do report in on LRC 13. Had not heard.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back