Linear Profiles for LrC/ACR

Only RF

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Since Adobe released Adobe Denoise AI I scrapped almost all of my 3rd party apps, changed my workflow and got bored. I decided to revisit this. I know there was a thread I but can't find it.

https://goodlight.us/linear-profiles.html

I've been messing around with it for that last few and I have to say I'm impressed. The highlights, shadows and blacks do look better and easier to control. First impressions do go a long way otherwise companies would not advertise how great their colours look - out of the box.

Flat to start but I read that page again. Hit Auto to start things off. Exposure usually needs a bump. I may have to start shooting more to the right. I also have preset for the Presence settings - Texture, Clarity and Dehaze.

I have not rely explored Color Grading yet but went back to tweaking Calibration a little. It's been a long time since I've been in there.

I've created a preset so my files will open with the Linear Profiles at import and I'll see how that goes.

"Exposure usually needs a bump." Is your monitor calibrated?

Yes it is. From the link.

The image looks darker and flatter at the beginning.

The main drawback of the linear profile is that, at least initially, the image looks worse onscreen. It's darker, has less saturated colors, and less contrast.

While messing around I found another interesting article. The linear profiles underexpose about ½ stop and I really don't want to adapt for it. After reading I've been messing around with Adobe and Camera Neutral, favouring Adobe. Pretty much similar results with a better exposure.

Comparing the profiles that add punch to the file to a Neutral profile you can see how much better highlights look. Mid tones, shadows, etc as plugged up looking. Auto followed by some quick tweaking brings the colour in and looks more natural to me.

This is my first experiment with Adobe Neutral. An overcast day but with any other camera (besides camera neutral) or Adobe profile the forehead was blown out and not recoverable. Nothing bad but I could see the difference.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back