canon rf 200-500mm announced?

About 18 months ago I was at a wildlife photographer event put together by a couple of Canon-shooting social media types, and a Canon rep popped over to let folks try some of the (then) new RF primes. To paraphrase his reaction to the group of upper-middle class, semi-retiree, serious shooters, "This is a community of photographers Canon just doesn't seem to want acknowledge. If they would build for them they would sell a shit-ton of glass. They just want to see their big stuff on the sidelines during sporting events." I've heard nothing to change my mind. Nikon saw that niche and responded.

I'm not planning on going anywhere, but I'm also not spending money. I'd be happier spending $6500 on an 800mm f6.3 that can be handheld than making due with the f11 for 1/8 the price. I'd love an R7 with a buffer that doesn't clog in two seconds and with a chip that's powerful enough to actually operate the focus system it possesses, and I'd pay 3x the price for it. And I know I'm not the only one. A 100-300mm f2.8 that comes in a couple bucks short of 5 figures will never temp me. And I can't even get excited about the possibilities of the next generation R5 because I don't know that I want to spend good money on it if there's a chance I may just jump ship should Canon continue to ignore my lot.

But Nikon is killing it with lightweight, affordable glass for wildlife photographers.
Hi Jake,
I came over from Nikon to Canon because I couldn't find a nice 500/600mm lightweight lens either made by Nikon or a third party, Nikon's 200-500 is a great lens and very sharp and affordable but heavy! So like you, I have the 100-500 lens but the R6mk2 body and loving it 😊

I came over from Nikon to Canon because I couldn't find a nice 500/600mm lightweight lens either made by Nikon or a third party, Nikon's 200-500 is a great lens and very sharp and affordable but heavy! So like you, I have the 100-500 lens but the R6mk2 body and loving it 😊
Did you ever try the Nikkor 500mm F5.6 PF?! That thing lived on my D500 and I could shoot handheld all day long and only 100g heavier than the 100-500mm. I don't miss it, but I loved it while I had it.

Did you ever try the Nikkor 500mm F5.6 PF?! That thing lived on my D500 and I could shoot handheld all day long and only 100g heavier than the 100-500mm. I don't miss it, but I loved it while I had it.
No I haven't tbh good lens but a bit pricey for me.

No I haven't tbh good lens but a bit pricey for me.
Pricey, yes, but not what you consider other primes are going for and what being able to handhold it means. Their PF primes are in the quality/price ballpark I was hoping Canon would enter, because I can almost buy four "pricey" 500mm's for the price of Canon's 600mm RF. I can almost buy 2 of their 800mm PF Z lenses. Fact is, the technology is there to meet the price point. Canon just doesn't want to. I think they like to see themselves as the pro's camera and they will cater to them. Maybe they're leaving that market to the competition to keep the competition alive? If so, Nikon is certainly taking advantage of it. There's not a lot of people out there looking for this stuff, but I believe there's enough that it can impact customer retention. The R5ii is going to probably dictate where I go. I can live with the 100-500mm for the next 5 years if they give me the R3 focus system (or more), a stacked sensor at 45 MPs (I don't need more but will take them), and the ability to vary my frame rate in electronic shutter mode it'll keep me here for a while - as long as the price doesn't shoot up to R3 levels. If not I can see me waiting for Nikon's focus system to catch up at the Z7 level (the Z9 is too dang bulky and heavy for me - a pound more than the R5 gripped) and making a move. I'm getting older and carry weight makes a huge difference.

About 18 months ago I was at a wildlife photographer event put together by a couple of Canon-shooting social media types, and a Canon rep popped over to let folks try some of the (then) new RF primes. To paraphrase his reaction to the group of upper-middle class, semi-retiree, serious shooters, "This is a community of photographers Canon just doesn't seem to want acknowledge. If they would build for them they would sell a shit-ton of glass. They just want to see their big stuff on the sidelines during sporting events." I've heard nothing to change my mind. Nikon saw that niche and responded.

That's exactly Canon's strategy unfortunately. The issue is that Canon's manufacturing capability just cannot keep up with the demand. They definitely are in a position to choose their customer base. Not good for us (prosumers?) by any means.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back