Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Norman Schweitzer
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Just read this in the July version of Digital photography (UK)

Attachments

• rf200-500mm.pdf
    519.4 KB · Views: 99
I wonder what that will cost?
  • My guess is that the RF 200–500 f/4 will cost at least three times, quite likely four times, as much as we paid for our RF 100–500s; in other words, it's an alternative lens rather than a replacement. (Long live the RF 100–500!)
  • My crystal ball also suggests that the 1–1.4–2 times extender will be expensive, probably around three times the price of a single 1.4 or 2 times extender.
  • I wonder whether the new extender will actually fit the RF 100–500. If it does, we will be able to carry around a 300–500 lens that can be quickly changed to 420–700 or 600–1000. (Note the trade-off: we lose 100–300 mm.)
… David

Last edited:
Wow, don't think I will be able to afford it. It would be interesting to see what new extenders that they are going to make though.

I would be interested in a 1.4x TC that worked for the full range on the 100-500.
But I'm afraid to look at the price.

Regarding price, something tells me that you could probably buy a good, used, car for what that lens will cost.

Likely yet another 5-figure lens that makes me question whether my decision to change brands was too hasty. The 100-500mm at its performance level and price point made me think that Canon was finally addressing the needs of the pro-sumer population and their needs. Silly me. (Note: they've certainly taken care of the pure hobbiest with lenses like the 100-400mm, and 600mm & 800mm f11's.) I love my R5 and 100-500mm, and I wouldn't trade it for any Nikon body. But Nikon is killing it with lightweight, affordable glass for wildlife photographers. To me it seems like Canon focuses (NPI) on the big white glass they love to see on the sidelines of sporting events, purchased by news agencies or loaned out at the event. If you're not at least a part time pro where you can write off equipment as an expense then you simply have to be independently wealthy to take advantage of this stuff over the available alternatives.

That rant over, I expect this will be wonderful to shoot with, and I'm hoping they find their way down the road.

I share your frustration. However, right now, I believe that Canon is getting their RF line-up ready for the 2024 Olympics, which is all centered around the world’s professional photographer community. The latest lenses, 100-300, 200-500, are definitely well suited for that type of event, and we’ve all been hearing that the Olympics is where the R1 is expected to make its debut. I believe once they have those showcase products released, that they will be spend some time focusing on the prosumer markets and hopefully surprise us with some interesting lenses.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back