Followers
Following
Name
Tim
City/State
Shropshire
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Canon has announced the new RF 100-300mm f/2.8 L IS USM lens. Despite being a zoom lens it weighs only 300g more than the EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II.
The lens will retail for $9,499 in the US and £11,499.00 in the UK. Pre-orders are already open and it’s expected to start shipping towards the end of May 2023.
See the linked blog article for further details and early reviews.

I probably won't be adding this beast to my gear bag anytime soon unless I win the lottery!

Just got an email from Wex UK, the pre-ordering price is a whopping £11,499.00......

only web site owner operators can afford this

I'm just rejoicing that when I looked under accessories that the $650 lens hood is listed as "in the box". Still, don't break that thing - you can get the 100-400mm RF for $100 less right now.

Just not in my future at all. Too much money. Not enough reach. If I were doing indoor sports, it would be an easy decision.

I'm just rejoicing that when I looked under accessories that the $650 lens hood is listed as "in the box". Still, don't break that thing - you can get the 100-400mm RF for $100 less right now.
Canon must use some super-duper plastic in their hoods! The hood for the 24-240 is $44, but a third party unit, one that's perfectly fine, is $14. But $650? Really?

This would be a great lens for Africa. I would’ve loved to have this instead of the 100-500 last year when I was in Botswana, I could’ve used the 2.8 more than the 300-500 range.

This would be a great lens for Africa. I would’ve loved to have this instead of the 100-500 last year when I was in Botswana, I could’ve used the 2.8 more than the 300-500 range.
That would be good. The fast lenses are good in the dark forested areas of Costa Rica as well. There are always places where a fast lens is helpful but the price is too high for now. Maybe a previously-owned example will turn up in a couple of years.

Canon has announced the new RF 100-300mm f/2.8 L IS USM lens. Despite being a zoom lens it weighs only 300g more than the EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II.
The lens will retail for $9,499 in the US and £11,499.00 in the UK. Pre-orders are already open and it’s expected to start shipping towards the end of May 2023.
See the linked blog article for further details and early reviews.

I probably won't be adding this beast to my gear bag anytime soon unless I win the lottery!
Sorry, but this lens is overpriced. It certainly might be worth $6,000 although $5,000 would be a more correct value if the intent was to market to the most people. If you have a very specific need and use for this lens I guess you will bite that bullet. These prices slow the acceptance of these lenses. JMHO

Sorry, but this lens is overpriced. It certainly might be worth $6,000 although $5,000 would be a more correct value if the intent was to market to the most people. If you have a very specific need and use for this lens I guess you will bite that bullet. These prices slow the acceptance of these lenses. JMHO
Canon market prices their lenses based on supply and demand. And based on their success, it looks like they are pretty successful at it. I think this one will sell really well. f2.8 constant, (should be) optically excellent, and able to use teleconverters. Having a 140-420 f4 zoom isn't a bad option. Anyway, not for me. But I like it.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back