Followers
Following
Name
Tim
City/State
Shropshire
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Canon has announced the RF 10-20mm F4 L IS STM, a full-frame, ultra-wide, rectilinear zoom lens for RF-mount mirrorless cameras.

Canon-RF-10-20mm-f4-L-IS-STM-Lens.png

The 10-20mm F4 L IS STM includes in-lens image stabilization with up to 5 stops of stabilization independently and up to 6 stops when combined with in-body image stabilization.

The lens is constructed of 16 elements in 12 groups. The minimum focusing distance is just 0.25 m (9.84″) and the maximum magnification is 0.12x.

It measures 84 mm (3.31″) in diameter and 112 mm (4.41″) in length and weighs just 1.25lbs / 570g.

Here's a video from Canon introducing the lens:

This is the first Canon L lens to feature an 'STM' stepper motor to drive autofocus, which should provide quiet AF when capturing video. Additionally, the AF system includes a position sensor so the lens can return to the previous AF setting when the camera's power is cycled off.

There's also an integrated lens hood, 9-bladed aperture, fluorine coatings on the front and rear elements, and a dust- and water-resistant construction. There's also a rear filter holder for gelatin filters.

The RF 10-20mm F4 L IS STM will be available in November for a recommended retail price of $2,299.00 in the US and £2,579.00 in the UK.

Here's an early review by Gordon Laing:

Pre-order from: B&H Photo (aff link)

Further details and sample images are available on Canon's website.

Last edited:
This lens looks super fun, though it's definitely beyond my price range, costing basically double what my current trio of lenses cost put together! Not that I'm complaining, as there are definitely more affordable and fast wide angle options, though nothing that reaches all the way down to 10mm.

I have been waiting to see how this lens would pan out, I rented a 11-24 a few years ago and was very impressed, I have the EF 8-15 fisheye which does work in near rectilinear at 14.5mm, but this lens is what I want, but at £2579 (which is $3,175) in the UK and $2299 in the US !!!!
Come on Canon stop ripping Europe and UK off and we will stop buying grey imports !!!

Canon has announced the RF 10-20mm F4 L IS STM, a full-frame, ultra-wide, rectilinear zoom lens for RF-mount mirrorless cameras.

View attachment 20530

The 10-20mm F4 L IS STM includes in-lens image stabilization with up to 5 stops of stabilization independently and up to 6 stops when combined with in-body image stabilization.

The lens is constructed of 16 elements in 12 groups. The minimum focusing distance is just 0.25 m (9.84″) and the maximum magnification is 0.12x.

It measures 84 mm (3.31″) in diameter and 112 mm (4.41″) in length and weighs just 1.25lbs / 570g.

Here's a video from Canon introducing the lens:

This is the first Canon L lens to feature an 'STM' stepper motor to drive autofocus, which should provide quiet AF when capturing video. Additionally, the AF system includes a position sensor so the lens can return to the previous AF setting when the camera's power is cycled off.

There's also an integrated lens hood, 9-bladed aperture, fluorine coatings on the front and rear elements, and a dust- and water-resistant construction. There's also a rear filter holder for gelatin filters.

The RF 10-20mm F4 L IS STM will be available in November for a recommended retail price of $2,299.00 in the US and £2,579.00 in the UK.

Here's an early review by Gordon Laing:

Pre-order from: B&H Photo (aff link)

Further details and sample images are available on Canon's website.
$3,099 CAN. Ouch! My bank account is going to start hurting, again🤣🤣

Maybe very good for the milky way?

First thought: I love my 11-24 because I can use filters easily on my filter-adapter.

Second thought: Oh wow it has rear filter holder, yey!

Third thought: oh it's embedded on the mount, meaning no VND adjustment possible.

So tough choice, should I keep my 11-24 or sell it and buy this new one...

Need to ponder a bit. Would be nice to have much smaller lens for sure, the huge bulge of the front element of the 11-24 makes women ask if I'm carrying Canon wide lens or just happy to see them.

Does someone know what filters fit the mount? I assume it's standard? How much they usually go, for example 10-stop ND?

Looks like a cool lens, but I can't see spending that much for 10mm vs. the 14mm I already have, particularly when I can think of maybe 2 times I wish the 14mm was wider, and both were real estate situations. Looks cool though.

This is one of the lenses that I wish I could afford. I have the EF-S 10-18mm.... maybe I could afford a used RF in couple of years!

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back