Followers
Following
Name
Bob Ulius
City/State
Northborough, MA
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
I would have thought the R3 would close the curtain while lens changing with power on. Googling gets LOTS of differening opinions.

Can it be set this way?

On the other hand, do you change lenses with power on? Seems to be highly recommended not to.

Thoughts?

NEVER change lenses with the power on, static on the sensor pulls dust in - always turn off and wait a few seconds (or longer if possible)

NEVER change lenses with the power on, static on the sensor pulls dust in - always turn off and wait a few seconds (or longer if possible)
Exactly. Bad practice. You do not change lens with the camera on. That's the formula to have dust in your sensor. In another hand, I have not heard of any way to have the curtain closed without turning off the camera.

I only change with power on when I forget. It's mostly muscle memory now to power off.

If there were a setting that closed the curtain when removing a lens, though, I might just use that.

I turn the camera off because the mirrorless sensor is quite far forward in the body, and it would be exposed to rain (if it is raining) or dust (if it is dusty).

I doubt that there is static electricity on the sensor.

Some bodies (i.e. the R8) don't actually have a full shutter to close over the sensor when powered off. In my case, there's no difference between changing a lens with power on or off, since the sensor is exposed either way. Generally, I still do it with the power off, but sometimes I forget.

On the other hand, do you change lenses with power on? Seems to be highly recommended not to.
There are many reasons to break the "rules" and creativity is number one for me.

I couldn't have got this in camera double exposure without changing lens. Shot at 15mm (35-35mm) and 500mm (100-500)

4P9A4661.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF15-35mm F2.8 L IS USM
  • 15.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/30 sec
  • ISO 100

With IBIS: High-Resolution Shooting it is recommend not shooting a subject that is moving.

Couldn't have got this by following the rules.

Mixing Water.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM
  • 428.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/160 sec
  • ISO 50

Like Bob Ross said, "we don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents".

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back