Followers
Following
Name
Tim
City/State
Shropshire
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Sony has just announced the Alpha 9 Mark III, the world's first mirrorless camera with a Global Shutter.

Key Specs:
  • 24.6MP Full-Frame Global Shutter Sensor
  • Up to 120 fps Cont. Shooting with AF/AE
  • Pre-Capture Function; Speed Boost Button
  • Flash Sync at up to 1/80,000 Sec.
  • 4K 120p 10-bit Video; S-Log3 & S-Cinetone
  • 759-Point Phase-Detect AF with Tracking
  • 8-Stop 5-Axis In-Body Image Stabilization
  • 9.44m-Dot EVF with 240 fps Refresh Rate
  • 3.2" 2.1m-Dot 4-Axis Touchscreen LCD
  • Dual CFexpress Type A/SD Card Slots

Who would like to see a global shutter in an R Series camera? I can see the benefits for sports shooters but for wildlife I'd definitely prefer the extra megapixels.

Interesting! Ok, as a wildlife shooter, I, too, would prefer the extra MPs over a global shutter. However, how about this... I want Canon to release a 45+ MP camera with a global shutter. (and I want it for the price of an R6 Mk II... haha). I can dream can't I!

whats this doing in canon forum :);):p but realize your comment is basically will everyone follow suit?

Last edited:
I would guess the R1 will have a global shutter - it's hard to imagine a new flagship camera not at least matching the competition. The big question is whether the R5II will get one - and whether I can afford it... ;-)

If we wait long enough we will be able to afford it. Once this becomes common place then the next tech level will emerge.

Personally I don't really care as much as long as the traditional ES readout speed is in that goldilocks zone to avoid rolling shutter. I don't know a lot about it between a camera like the R3 that is fast enough and global shutter. Two things I've read is global is better for flash and fast light source changes like flickering. If you primarily shoot outdoors then a fast non global shutter would work just as fine. I think?

We will see. I'd even tale this and be happy with EFCS but I figure sensor tech will outpace it. Cameras without mirrors cost less to manufacture and getting rid of high speed/usage shutters will also bring their costs down.

A few thoughts:
  • A global shutter seems like a natural evolution of the technology, so not crazy surprising.
  • I have noticed so little rolling shutter in my R6M2 for the kind of shooting I do that, while a GS would be great, it doesn't seem all that necessary.
  • 1/80,000 sec maximum shutter speed? What on this planet moves that fast?

• A global shutter seems like a natural evolution of the technology, so not crazy surprising.
guess that the truth

A few thoughts:
  • I have noticed so little rolling shutter in my R6M2 for the kind of shooting I do that, while a GS would be great, it doesn't seem all that necessary.
  • 1/80,000 sec maximum shutter speed? What on this planet moves that fast?
I haven’t either on my R62. Not that much on the R7 either but it is there.

The R7 has enough rolling shutter distortion that I don't use ES for sports. Basketballs become oval, etc.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back