Competition News: Sony Announces A9 III with a 24MP Global Shutter

The R7 has enough rolling shutter distortion that I don't use ES for sports. Basketballs become oval, etc.
Yes not great for that. You can get away with it with birds, etc. You can see a bit of an elongated eye in a duck fight shot I posted but I never point it out. 3rd image.

Kit is coming on so much ... I feel my R8 (so R6 ii effectively for focus and sensor) is quicker to react and lock than my R5 which is obviously 2 years older.
I still wonder about the deal I could have got for an R3 but decided on the R8 ... hmmm .... R3 Mk ii maybe with global shutter ...

I have a few thoughts:

1) The R6 Mark 2 probably should have had the same sensor as the R3, even if it bumped the price a couple hundred bucks.

2) The R3 is going to be “obsolete” as a sports camera with the A9III launch so Canon has to respond. R3 Mark 2 has to come with a Global Shutter and the pre-record capability. I see that as a HUGE advantage for sports/action shooters.

3) Canon can probably match all the specs of the A9III, but that won’t do anything to set them apart. I think a huge leap ahead of the competition would be a sensor/processor combination in the 16-24 megapixel range that produces noiseless .CR3 files up to ISO 12800. I mean everything looks like it was shot at ISO 100 clean. I’m not sure that possible, but it would surely set Canon apart from everyone else.

4) Canon has to get Sigma and Tamron involved with lenses. There is a large demand for third party lenses and right now the RF platform has minimal autofocus third party options, aside from the early releases that have been pulled off the market. Consumers want to be able to buy, I don’t know, a 35-150 f2-2.8 for $2,000 instead of a 28-70 f/2 for $2800… 😆

Hopefully Canon will feel threatened enough to add pre-shooting to the R3 through a firmware update. If the R7 can do it, the R3 should be able to.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back