Deals Do you want it cheaper

Hdew are also uk importer that have been around a while
I have used HDEW loads since the early 2000's and have met the owner. I think he said they have been around since 1995 (?) and he had no plans on going bust !!

I saved £1000 on my R5 body with HDEW and a lot on lenses of various types over the years. Two 5D 2's and then 2 5D 3's also never missed a beat. Much like now, they got kit when I could not get it elsewhere - though at the moment it seems worse than ever, especially for lenses.

Last edited:
Interesting thread in as much as it's had me checking my facts and in the process noting some interesting differences.
Assuming you buy from B&H you'd be paying 8% sales tax... far less than the UK's 20%VAT, and yes prices are much cheaper in the US than they are here in the UK even before tax is applied.
When it comes to the difference between UK grey imports and US retail prices the gap narrows considerably but still reveals an interesting disparity in as much as lenses are still cheaper in the US whereas bodies are cheaper from our grey importers.
Then again it's worth checking the prices between E-infinity and Panamoz too. They can be quite considerable.

Anyway, my original point was to say that I have no qualms whatsoever buying from a grey importer provided they have a good record. You usually get a better warranty than you would there Canon one provided by UK retailers.
I haven't a clue what margins UK photographic retailers work on or why they all seem to adopt the same retail price. Is it a case of price matching or price fixing?? More to the point who is behind it ? Take one guess!

Interesting thread in as much as it's had me checking my facts and in the process noting some interesting differences.
Assuming you buy from B&H you'd be paying 8% sales tax... far less than the UK's 20%VAT, and yes prices are much cheaper in the US than they are here in the UK even before tax is applied.
When it comes to the difference between UK grey imports and US retail prices the gap narrows considerably but still reveals an interesting disparity in as much as lenses are still cheaper in the US whereas bodies are cheaper from our grey importers.
Then again it's worth checking the prices between E-infinity and Panamoz too. They can be quite considerable.

Anyway, my original point was to say that I have no qualms whatsoever buying from a grey importer provided they have a good record. You usually get a better warranty than you would there Canon one provided by UK retailers.
I haven't a clue what margins UK photographic retailers work on or why they all seem to adopt the same retail price. Is it a case of price matching or price fixing?? More to the point who is behind it ? Take one guess!
UK main dealers do not make much.

HDEW warranty I am sure is great as I had an issue with an EF 24-70 Mk II about 8-10 years ago and they just replaced the lens !! No mucking around.

I know a company who will generally not, even if brand new, replace kit ... and always says to send to manufacturer ! Out of order big time IMO but they do it.

Last edited:
Taking your point about the dealer sending clients to Canon. That is ileage . In the UK your contract is with the shop you buy from. I'm almost certain, in some circumstances you can get a refund, if goods are faulty, within 72 hours of the purchase, on line purchase you can return goods within 14 days without reason

Yep. Agreed … but that’s what they do. I wouldn’t buy from them as I knew what they do.

Who is that dealer?

Ok.

What county is the shop in, just in case I'm near by?

Great bit of info.

I know UK dealers have to make a profit, I'm just wondering if they are making excessive profits. Anyone know what the mark up is for UK dealers,
I rather think it is Canon with their UK pricing policy who are making the extra profit. All UK prices the same £4300. I have previously bought a Canon camera from B&H in New York; 18m later the screen died but even after I paid Lehmann's in Stoke to replace it the total cost was less than the street price of the camera in the UK. Currently B&H are prohibited from shipping the R5 & R6 to UK which I guess is Canon applying pressure to close the back door route. At the moment it is cheaper to hop on a return flight to NYC to buy the R5 than buy it in UK. However, my preferred route was HDEW as they have office in UK and 3 years (insurance) guarantee. A number of members at my camera club have bought from Panamoz and have only good things to say about their service.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back