Deals Do you want it cheaper

My camera is grey import. I have a 3 year warranty via the supplier Panamoz. Camera is repaired at Canon official repairs and Panamoz pay for it.

A lot of us think if you are from the AEU you are rolling in money. I was in Dubai 2 years ago, there are plenty with very little. The elite have a lot to answer for.

If you import do you have to pay import duty? Is it worth importing from UK and if necessary send it back to UK for repairs?

At here, Canon will not acknowledge the warrantee if imported!
As a Canon CPS member, your Canon products must be authorized purchases, not grey or imported. This alone is a worthwhile reason for me and many others to buy full price from authorized dealers. The discounts, warranties, loaner programs and other perks are invaluable to a semi pro or professional shooter with a CPS membership. It outweighs saving a few bucks on an initial purchase however YMMV if not in the US.

Last edited:
I presume you are on about Panamoz , as they are only grey importers in UK that offer 3 year warranty , I bought 3 of my RF lenses off them and saved a lot of money , I decided to buy my R5 and RF 100-500 off Wex though as I wanted the security on the camera of a Canon warranty .
Hdew cameras are also grey importers I would assume and I have bought several lenses from them with no problem. They also have r5 + r6 with adapters for that price.

whilst I do somewhat agree with your comments, its certainly easier to state such when it’s nearly $2000 cheaper in the States. Here in Rip off Britain an R5 costs £4200( $5843) but in the US as an example it costs $3899( £2802) not sure why it’s nearly $2000 more expensive in the UK. Hence why people go to grey imports even if I had to pay for a loan I would still be better off
As a Canon CPS member, your Canon products must be authorized purchases, not grey or imported. This alone is a worthwhile reason for me and many others to buy full price from authorized dealers. The discounts, warranties, loaner programs and other perks are invaluable to a semi pro or professional shooter with a CPS membership. It outweighs saving a few bucks on an initial purchase however YMMV if not in the US.

whilst I do somewhat agree with your comments, its certainly easier to state such when it’s nearly $2000 cheaper in the States. Here in Rip off Britain an R5 costs £4200( $5843) but in the US as an example it costs $3899( £2802) not sure why it’s nearly $2000 more expensive in the UK. Hence why people go to grey imports even if I had to pay for a loan I would still be better off
You would think Canon would make it a level playing field. No wonder the grey market is so strong

Panamoz are Hong Kong based and seem to be the cheapest for both the R5 and R6 at this moment in time, and they do offer a three year warranty, with repairs carried out by a Canon U.K. approved repair centre. HDEW is a U.K. based company with a shop near Croydon that also sell grey imports and are usually very competitive on price, they also offer the three year warranty (on cameras) handled by a Canon U.K. approved repair centre. They do only offer one year warranty on lenses though. Both of these companies get great reviews on trust pilot that compere very well against the best U.K. supplier, and absolutely smashes the reviews of a certain U.K. national retail chain. Although slightly dearer, I bought my R6 from HDEW, because I was able to phone them and discuss my purchase with a knowledgeable member of staff. So better price, better warranty, availability of the Canon EF adapter and I was able to purchase as a kit with the 24-105 F4 L series lens. U.K. dealers can only supply a kit with the cheaper non L series 24-105 lens and haven't had stock of the Canon EF lens converter for months.
I have bought a lot of stuff from HDEW over the years. I had to return an EF 24-70 f2.8 mkII a few years ago which would not focus properly … there was no argument at all. They took it back and replaced without issue. I have just ordered my R 5 from them as I have a lot of faith built up over many years.

Gray Market lens and body warranty denials are more and more common, what is it really worth in the long run?

Buy Once Cry Once.

Gray Market lens and body warranty denials are more and more common, what is it really worth in the long run?

Buy Once Cry Once.
HDEW deal for a repair. You get their warranty. They are very open about what you are buying and I had no issues with 3 x 5D III, a 7D and numerous lenses. The only problem with a lens was sorted without issue. Sometimes they are not as cheap as others but at the moment on the R5 for UK people they are.

I have brought my last 3 cameras from HDEW and thoroughly recommend them. I had a problem with a 7D II after 2 years of owning it and they sorted it with absolutely no charge to me. Did not have even have to pay out and claim back.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back