Canon R5 Does anyone have issues with R5 freezing when Sigma 150-600mm lens is attached?

photogal_la

Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Melissa Teller
In the past two months I have bought an R6 (not enough megapixels for my wildlife shooting) and an R5 (perhaps too many megapixels?), but I still haven't bit the bullet and switched out any of my EF lenses. My only non-Canon lens is a Sigma f/5-6.3 150-600mm lens (contemporary – NOT sport), which for the most part works just fine with the Canon EF to R ring mount adapter. But every so often my camera will just freeze and the only way to get it working again is to turn it off and on twice.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Are you getting an error message when this happens? I had Err 002 on my first R5 copy after about 1000 shots using EF-RF converter with EF 100-400 Mark ii. Initially I was able to recover by rebooting, but eventually not at all (on the same day). Fortunately my R5 was still within the 30 day return period so I changed it out for a new replacement. Since then I have >6000 shots and have not had that problem again.

Oops, just checked my earlier post from April and see it was Err 20, not 002.

It has been a few weeks since I last had this problem, but I don't recall seeing any error message – the camera just freezes and I can't do anything until I turn it off and back on one or two times.

Check with Sigma. Often issues get baked into new cameras and they have to issue a firmware upgrade to compensate. I had to update everything every time a new Nikon body was issued. I used the 150-600mm Sport a couple times with the R5 but it's since been traded for the 100-500mm. Thankfully if you have the dock it's an easy apply.

I'd put it on the Siggy dock and check for lens firmware updates. fwiw, if you ever update your body firmware, your 3rd party glass will take a while to catch up.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back