Grahamk

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Graham Kersting
I had my first outing with my R6 Mk2 over the weekend and now find that DPP4 (v 4.17.20.0 on iMac) cannot see the images on the SD card although it shows EOS_DIGITAL in the folders list. If I copy the images from the SD card to the iMac then DPP4 can see them. I've also tried an SD card from my wife's point and shoot Canon camera and DPP4 can't see those images either. Since Affinity Photo 2 can see the images on the cards from both cameras, I assume the issue is not with the cards but with DPP4.

Obviously, as copying the images to the iMac solves the problem, it's not a big deal but seems odd. Anyone had any similar experience or have any idea as to what the issue might be if it's not with DPP4?

Can you download the photos by connecting the camera to your iMac? I use cable supplied by Canon and, with camera turned off, connect together, turn camera on and EOS Utility 3 opens and asks if I want to download photos from camera. Once downloading is complete DPP4 opens and all photos are there. Hoping something like this can work for you.

Thanks Bear - I haven't directly connected the camera yet, I'll give it a try as another alternative. The practical effect of the direct connection is the same as taking the SD card out of the camera and putting it into the iMac for transfer - DPP4 will be looking at the images after download not on the SD card.

This is a strange problem indeed. I am at a bit of a disadvantage, because I am a pc user and don't own an R6 MK2 and therefore can't test. But, if DPP can see the memory card then it should be able to see the images. Your DPP is the latest version and it should work. Of course, you know that.... :D

I would contact Canon support about this issue. In the meantime, maybe someone with an R6 MK2 and an Apple can help. Good luck, and if you find the answer or solution, please post it back here for future reference.

Following Bryan's suggestion I contacted Canon who replied as follows:

"Well, according to the information you provided I assume that you use a card slot on your computer to transfer images from your camera (SD card) to your iMac.

Allow me to point out here that you need to start DPP Software first and then load the memory card, open the icon, that represents the card, in the folder area and drag the DCIM folder to the desktop. The DCIM folder with the images are copied to the computer. Images transferred to your computer can be reviewed in the main window."

This still copies the images from the card to the computer before they can be seen by DPP4, so perhaps DPP4 isn't meant to be able to read an SD card directly.

Last edited:
My version on my pc will read images on an sd card directly. I guess it might be a Mac problem or a feature that Mac versions of DPP don't have.

Here is a screenshot:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-13 113011.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-03-13 113011.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 25
That's interesting Bryan. I emailed Canon again in response to their reply and this morning received the following definitive confirmation that DPP4 will not read images directly from an SD card. In the light of your experience I assume that this must be a Mac only issue - I'll ask Canon the specific question.

"Thank you for emailing me back.

Yes, indeed, you cannot import images into DPP directly from a memory card. You must save them first in your computer."

I'll update the thread when/if I hear more.

Canon's reply regarding Windows is below:

"Thank you for following me up.

Exactly as you stated, this process applies to PCs running Windows as well. "

I'm not sure about the "Exactly as you stated" since I asked a question namely "does the fact that you cannot import images into DPP directly from a memory card apply only to Mac computers or is it also the case with PCs running Windows?"

However, I interpret the latest reply as meaning that in order to view images the process of dragging the DCIM folder from the SD card to the desktop has to undertaken with Windows as well as Macs, in which case apparently Bryan has achieved the impossible!

Canon's reply regarding Windows is below:

"Thank you for following me up.

Exactly as you stated, this process applies to PCs running Windows as well. "

I'm not sure about the "Exactly as you stated" since I asked a question namely "does the fact that you cannot import images into DPP directly from a memory card apply only to Mac computers or is it also the case with PCs running Windows?"

However, I interpret the latest reply as meaning that in order to view images the process of dragging the DCIM folder from the SD card to the desktop has to undertaken with Windows as well as Macs, in which case apparently Bryan has achieved the impossible!
I get irritated when customer service people, or chatbots, don't read and comprehend the question before giving an answer. I still think it is either a permission issue, or a mac only issue.

I agree about the question not being read/understood. The issue of not being able to read the SD card isn't a big deal but it would be nice to delete the failures from the card before transferring the rest to the iMac.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back