Following
Name
Dean Wilson
City/State
Canby, Oregon
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
I have never had this happen before.

I was transferring files as I always do. SD Card in laptop slot and open the proper folder. Ctrl-A (Select All), Ctrl-X (Cut). Open the the destination folder Ctrl-V (Paste). Jpgs are transferred.

Today when I Crtl-V (Paste) for the CR3 files it won't paste the Cut files. So, I have the jpegs but not the raw files.

NOTE: Yes, I did see the files on the CF card. I ALWAYS unmount any device prior to removing from the laptop.

I did another test shot and everything copied fine.

None of the photos were of any significance as you can see below....I was just walking around unsupervised.

DWR56629.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM
  • 500.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/1600 sec
  • ISO 500

Last edited:
I know sometimes Windows you have to CTRL+C (copy) twice to make it stick, I don't know if you hit the same problem on your cut.

Try this: Insert your card. If the Files window does not automatically open, then click on files icon at bottom of screen.
You should see your card listed in the column on the left side of the window. Right-click on it. A choice box opens. click on
Open As Portable Device. Now you should see another entry for your card in the left column. It will be further up that column
than the other entries for your card. Right-click on it and now click on Import Pictures and Videos. In the box. click on the radio button to import all new items now. Enter a suitable name in the box to identify your import. (This will create a folder with that name and today's date in 'Pictures' and name all the pictures within that file with that name and a unique number.) Click on Import. Job done. It takes a lot longer to describe it than it does to do it

I have been using PC's since DOS 1.0 on an IBM-PC (AT 16kb RAM is enough) and Windows 3.0, but of course you don't know this. I believe the files were "lost" in the clipboard stage of transferring, so I checked the recycle bin.

B-I-N-G-O, there they were.

I was busy yesterday at the time of posting and didn't have time to "think" about it.

I've been fixing computers since 1973 and have learned that it's too easy to assume things!

However, others may find the note useful.

I've been fixing computers since 1973 and have learned that it's too easy to assume things!
When I read about someone stating my memory card has completely failed, my first thought is, "I wonder if they pull the card from the card reader/slot 'hot' and don't unmount/eject all the time?" I have seen this happen with USB devices many times.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back