DPP4 What are your thoughts?

Well, I am one who just can't get used to the DPP system. I used Lightroom and Photoshop for years. I just find DPP interface cumbersome. I did purchase color profiles for my R5 and R7 from Color Fidelity. They are much better and, to my eye, match the profiles of DPP.

DPP has it's uses but it's painfully slow in edit mode. Fine as a viewer and works well if you just drag and drop an image in to photoshop to edit there. Converting to TIFF or DNG is just another step that takes time and hard drive space.
I load all my files to and work in them from an external hard drive.
I'm not actually convinced that DPP brings anything to the PP party. Maybe someone can enlighten me.
Totally agree with you Dave, it is painfully slow. What I have learnt so far is both the app and the photos should be on the main computer as opposed to an external drive. Secondly, like most, I shoot RAW, but my camera settings are set for Jpeg. Hence, Picture styles, Digital Optimizer, Sharpening, Noise is Canon's secret sauce inherent in R cameras and RF lenses that are automatically applied in DPP. That's a huge difference that no other third-party photo manipulation software has! I had a photo of a lifetime, using auto ISO that choose ISO 25,000 ruining the shot with digital noise. The image recovered much better when processed in DPP than in any third-party software I used. Also, the colours starting points are superbly accurate IMHO!

I agree that Adobe colors are not the best, even if using what they call "camera profiles". I purchased and installed into Lightroom ColorFidelity profiles for my R5 and my wife's R7 and find them to be excellent.

Last edited:
Try Capture One. Free to try. Whether Lightroom or Capture One, there is a learning curve. Well worth the effort. Both are an organizational tool. There are a bunch of others also and I found with cheaper programs, you get what you paid for.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back