View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Renegade Viewfinder

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Mario Gonzalez
I have the Canon EF - R adapter and use it on my EOS R what I am wondering is do you loose anything in using EF lenses on this camera with the adaptor. Focus speed, image quality. Just curious. I just got the 50mm 1.8 RF and 35mm 1.8 RF but cant afford the 24mm to 70mm. I plan to use adapter and my Tamron 24mm to 70mm if I will not lose a lot. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
I shoot with both the EF and RF lenses. I find the Canon adapter works perfectly with no perceptible loss of speed. I'm very satisfied with the results. That being said, I have invested in some new RF glass. I find the RF glass to be a bit sharper and with less chromatic aberration. The newer lenses are more expensive so you need to consider whether the expense is advisable for your situation.

I shoot with both the EF and RF lenses. I find the Canon adapter works perfectly with no perceptible loss of speed. I'm very satisfied with the results. That being said, I have invested in some new RF glass. I find the RF glass to be a bit sharper and with less chromatic aberration. The newer lenses are more expensive so you need to consider whether the expense is advisable for your situation.
Very many thanks for that comment. I'll try the EF lenses first and then make the move over to RF lenses in stages. Thank you.

I have a copy adaptor. I cannot see any effect of the adaptor.

I can see a different between using the same lens on my Canon 1000D and Canon R5 with the adaptor. But that's not a fair comparison the 1000D isn't anywhere close to the R5.

Any adaptor like the EF-R is passive, its has no glass. If the electriconic signal is comprised then any lens will fail. That is not the case with my adaptor. My basic adaptor cost about £200 less than Canon, that's a good lump towards good glass

I have a copy adaptor. I cannot see any effect of the adaptor.

I can see a different between using the same lens on my Canon 1000D and Canon R5 with the adaptor. But that's not a fair comparison the 1000D isn't anywhere close to the R5.

Any adaptor like the EF-R is passive, its has no glass. If the electriconic signal is comprised then any lens will fail. That is not the case with my adaptor. My basic adaptor cost about £200 less than Canon, that's a good lump towards good glass
Very many thanks Greg - I'm pleased to hear that.

I have the Canon EF - R adapter and use it on my EOS R what I am wondering is do you loose anything in using EF lenses on this camera with the adaptor. Focus speed, image quality. Just curious. I just got the 50mm 1.8 RF and 35mm 1.8 RF but cant afford the 24mm to 70mm. I plan to use adapter and my Tamron 24mm to 70mm if I will not lose a lot. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
According to a good friend of mine who is a Canon Explorer of Light photographer, you do not lose a thing at all. He has tested the equipment by comparing an R5 with the adapter and his EF 100-400 and his R5 with the RF 100-500 and has found the two images to be exactly the same. He is not buying all new RF lenses to replace his EF lenses.

According to a good friend of mine who is a Canon Explorer of Light photographer, you do not lose a thing at all. He has tested the equipment by comparing an R5 with the adapter and his EF 100-400 and his R5 with the RF 100-500 and has found the two images to be exactly the same. He is not buying all new RF lenses to replace his EF lenses.
Don't quot me, I think the combination of R series camera and RF lens work in harmony. Together they make adjustments to JPG pictures, it is possible to see the adjustments in RAW.

This harmony, as far as I'm aware, is not present or has less effect when the combination is R body and EF lens.

I'm sure, by the time you print or view on a screen of moderate size and resolution only the very critical will notice any differences

Just my opinion but unless the RF lens offers something not available in EF glass I don't see much point in buying purely because it's an RF lens unless it's a lens that you haven't already got.

I am finding it impossible to find a native adapter, anywhere!! Unless anyone knows more than me???
I have resorted to a TPM adapter and so far have found no issues at all, but am still nervous about their weather sealing etc and want a real one ..

I have the R6 and use the adapter with the EF 75-300 L and the EF 100 Macro lens and they seem to work great together. I haven’t noticed any problems so far. Just had the R6 for a couple of weeks.

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back