Electronic vs. Mechanical shutter

Is there an image quality loss in using the electronic shutter over the mechanical shutter on the R5?
I would like to thank you for bringing this up. I ended up going to get " learned up " by studying . I've know about electronic shutters since the introduction of the EOS630 and the EOS 1 rs when it came out... I loved my 630 but never gave this topic a second thought. I shoot a lot of extremely low light venue band shots ... so besides learning something new i will be also experimenting with the methods available to me thru my R5. I'm not sure i will be able to give you an update however you opened up a world i'd forgotten to look into and I thank you

I noticed the following info in the R6 manual concerning the use of both electronic and 1st Curtain electronic. I suspect it is the same for the R5, but don't know for sure. You can see there is potential for image issue under some circumstances with both FCES and ES.

Electronic Shutter Precautions.jpg

I noticed the following info in the R6 manual concerning the use of both electronic and 1st Curtain electronic. I suspect it is the same for the R5, but don't know for sure. You can see there is potential for image issue under some circumstances with both FCES and ES.

View attachment 611
Useful reminder, thanks.

Again, I'm late to the discussion, but I was doing some low-light, slow-shutter shooting this weekend, and using electronic shutter for the first time in these conditions because the model had a snake we didn't want to stress. In PP, I noticed a lot more noise than usual in some of the images, and I couldn't figure out why because my settings didn't warrant it. Even in some of the well-lit images, I was getting noise where there shouldn't be any.

I put the lens cap on the lens I used for the shoot and used the same settings for both electronic shutter and mechanical. These were the results. I won't be using electronic shutter for anything of any importance again.

I should add that the difference was more apparent in Capture One than in Lightroom, and the only alteration I did to either of these images was an increase in exposure of 1.75.

(Electronic First Curtain gave a result similar enough to Electronic that I didn't keep the files.)

MechanicalShutter.jpg
ElectronicShutter.jpg

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back