Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Chris Davison
Hello all,
writing with a quick question: is it possible to connect my R6 to my PC so that my PC screen will show me what the camera is seeing? I know how to record and transfer files using USB or WiFi but haven't yet figured out if it's possible for the two screens (R6 screen and PC screen) to mirror each other? Thanks in advance for your consideration, all replies most gratefully appreciated.

Chris

Right, the bundle that my camera came with was a lens kit, an RF 24-105 lens plus accessories, but no cables.

So you were able to use Remote Live Viewing and fully control your camera using the phone app?

I got one of those big bundles with all the filters, extra batteries, attachments, software, and everything else you would think you could possibly need from Amazon, that show up with all the R cameras if you search. Most of those things are pretty low quality and I ended up having to order more things that I could actually use, but the bundle was basically the same price as the camera by itself, so I it's all just free junk. And yea, it had a mini-hdmi cable in there, but I haven't used it.

I tried the phone app, and after connecting with bluetooth and wifi I was able to see what the camera sees and tap to focus/shoot from my phone. I think I could change some settings too. It was pretty neat, but I generally prefer working with the actual camera, so had no real use for it. I have an android phone if that matters.

Just as well you never used the Micro HDMI cable since directly connecting it to a PC doesn't work, unless you have an HDMI recorder or other kit. The good news is that connecting the EOS camera to a PC using a USB cable (USB-C for the camera to USB 3.0 for the PC) works perfectly, plug and play. As soon as I USB connected it, the EOS Utility popped right up then I clicked Remote Shooting and then when that popped up I clicked on "Live View shoot" and bingo, everything my EOS camera saw was displayed real-time on my laptop screen. Which for shooting video saves me a lot of time in the positioning of lights, subject, distance to green screen, zoom, and so on, since I can see right away what works and what doesn't, in detail.

Also used WiFi to connect my EOS to my phone, kind of cool but the phone screen is too small, not much larger than the LCD flipscreen on the EOS.

As for HDMI, it is actually useful if you want to connect to a monitor such as a large screen TV.

And so in summary, you can see what the camera sees on your phone screen using WiFi, on your laptop screen using USB tether, and on your TV screen using HDMI tether.

Last edited:
Thanks for the follow-up and the solutions. I'm sure that info will come in handy for me some day.

Sure thing, it seems like the kind of basic functionality that should be outlined in the User Manual but at least it's easy enough to figure after some trial and error.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back