Extenders

Welcome to our Canon RF Shooters Forum

Be apart of something great, join today!

Only RF

Veteran Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2023
Posts
2,189
Solutions
4
Likes Received
3,738
Points
113
I've watched a few of his videos and I like his explanations. When I got my R6III I took the 1.4 off the 100-500 and often pushed cropping a bit too much. I put it back on a few months ago. I just came across this video today.

 
My 1.4 TC sits permanently on my RF600 f4, and produces great images, not so much on my 100-500. I often use 2x on the 600mm especially shooting small birds with the R1 as you can't crop as aggressively, Plus high ISO isn't an issue on the R1 . I only tend to use the 1.4 if I'm shooting the R5 mkii as although it handles noise well its not in the same league as the R1
 
My 1.4 TC sits permanently on my RF600 f4, and produces great images, not so much on my 100-500. I often use 2x on the 600mm especially shooting small birds with the R1 as you can't crop as aggressively, Plus high ISO isn't an issue on the R1 . I only tend to use the 1.4 if I'm shooting the R5 mkii as although it handles noise well its not in the same league as the R1
I had an EF 400 DO II at one time. While the 100-500 is a great lens it is tough to beat a prime. I was considering a 2X but not anymore, unless I had a prime.
 
I've thought about getting the 1.4x for my 100-500L, but haven't done it. The online reviews are not that positive for the 1.4x/100-500mm combo. I figure the main optical job of the 1.4x is putting more pixels on the subject. Since I use the lens on my R7, I have more than enough pixels. So I crop instead, and that works well.

Still not sure though, as the 1.4x might help with focusing.
 
I like his videos as well. Sorry about the ads.


I've always done really well with the 100-500 and 1.4 on a FF. Fast AF and good IQ I think. OK on the R7 but my keeper rate really dropped so I stopped using it. I sold the R7 last year.

These are all cropped between 25 and 50%


BCG-4346.jpg
  • Join to view EXIF data.


BCG-4650.jpg
  • Join to view EXIF data.


_73A4004.jpg
  • Join to view EXIF data.
 
I've thought about getting the 1.4x for my 100-500L, but haven't done it. The online reviews are not that positive for the 1.4x/100-500mm combo. I figure the main optical job of the 1.4x is putting more pixels on the subject. Since I use the lens on my R7, I have more than enough pixels. So I crop instead, and that works well.

Still not sure though, as the 1.4x might help with focusing.
Using 100-500 with the R7. You have an effective 200-800 reach.
 

Latest reviews

  • Canon EOS R50
    5.00 star(s)
    Excellent Beginner's Camera, and a Very Good Enthusiasts Camera
    The R50 is a fine entry level/beginner/casual stills camera. It is not a pro level camera, but would be fine for hiking, street, family photos...
    • SwampGrizz
  • Canon EOS R6
    5.00 star(s)
    A nice camera specially if you want to save some money
    I bought the Canon R6 in 2024 to replace my Canon R7. After researching the market, I decided to go with the R6 instead of the R6 Mark II. Why not...
    • ctitanic
  • Prime Canon RF 50mm F1.2L USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Long Story Short Review
    10 years ago.....yes I said it was a long story! Canon sent me an EF 50mm f1.2 for a lens evaluation. On my 5D Mark III it was rather amazing. A...
    • GaryM
Back
Top