Followers
Following
Name
James Schoenmakers
City/State
Seattle, WA
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
I just got an R10. I put on the RFS 55-210 lens and when I turn on camera and when it wakes up from sleep it says.."Attached lens may not work properly because it is not supported by camera firmware." My R50 doesn't do this. How do I fix? Thanks

I just got an R10. I put on the RFS 55-210 lens and when I turn on camera and when it wakes up from sleep it says.."Attached lens may not work properly because it is not supported by camera firmware." My R50 doesn't do this. How do I fix? Thanks
Hi James,

If I were you I would first check the R10 and RF-S both have the latest firmware installed via the in-camera Menu Tab 5 - also illustrated on p.815 of the R10 user manual - and the Support/ Firmware pages at your local Canon web site.

If either the camera or lens do not have the latest firmware, download and install it. You can carry out the procedure for both in-Camera ('Wrench Menu' Tab 5 again). Otherwise you could update them using the Canon EOS Utility app.

I would strongly recommend you read and follow the update-procedure-pdf instructions provided with the respective firmware downloads - and do remember the *.FIR files must be copied to the root of the SD Card (i.e. not in a folder!).

[*** Note if the updates take a little while to start and the progress bar just sits there - Don't Panic! - this part of the update process seems to take an age on my R5 and always induces an anxiety attack ***].

If firmware was the issue, this should hopefully resolve the problem behind the caution message, but if not please report back here.

Phil

Last edited:
Another option is using the Camera Connect app on a smartphone, it will inform you when there's a new firmware available and load it into the camera for you. That way the SD card can stay inside the camera.

Hi James,
I would strongly recommend you read and follow the update-procedure-pdf instructions provided with the respective firmware downloads - and do remember the *.FIR files must be copied to the root of the SD Card (i.e. not in a folder!).

[*** Note if the updates take a little while to start and the progress bar just sits there - Don't Panic! - this part of the update process seems to take an age on my R5 and always induces an anxiety attack ***]
Phil

In case you haven't performed a firmware update on a Canon R* camera before:
While the firmware update program is running (i.e., the top line on the back screen literally says "Firmware update program") the back screen will not react to touch - you will have to use the four-way toggle/set switch for jumping to, and then pushing the display "ok" button.

In case you haven't performed a firmware update on a Canon R* camera before:
While the firmware update program is running (i.e., the top line on the back screen literally says "Firmware update program") the back screen will not react to touch - you will have to use the four-way toggle/set switch for jumping to, and then pushing the display "ok" button.
Hi GrunRad,

Good points, well made and I'm obliged to you for expanding on the procedure, which the OP should find most helpful... :)

(I should have actually put 'the progress %' value, rather than the ‘update progress bar’ - hopefully no confusion caused!!).

Phil

Last edited:
I am not too PC literate but I accidentally figured out how to get firmware onto my sd card and load it into the camera. Problem solved. Thanks to all.

I am not too PC literate but I accidentally figured out how to get firmware onto my sd card and load it into the camera. Problem solved. Thanks to all.
Hi James,

Great News! Well done… :)

Phil

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back