First line of safety - use a strap

It's a really nice strap. I do recommend it. It comes with extra connectors for replacing as they wear, too.
If the first line of safety is to use a strap,, I suggest the second line is to not put your expensive gear in an unkonwn precarious spot where it might not be so secure. There's a happy ending but on Easter Sunday walking through the kitchen of my daughter's house with the R6 and 24-105L and RF-EF adapter after shooting some grandkid portraits, the wife needed a quick hand. I put the gear on top of the fridge thinking no little ones will grab it from there. Within 2 minutes, daughter opens door of fridge which I now realize is quite thick, not like the one I have at home. R6 and lens crash to the floor and I assume that at least one is now a paper weight. But I can't find any evidence. Everything works as before. I thought the focus was off but careful anaylsis with a focus chart showed that it's as good as ever. I'm not a rookie and should know better, but it happened and I don't mind being lucky. But prefer being more careful.
I can imagine all the suppressed blasphemous 😇

I've used a peak design strap since I got my 5DIV, I didn't like the way canon wrote the camera name on the strap, it was like an advert to come and mug me

I have been a Blackrapid guy but was looking for a new one. After looking into the peak Design I think I'm going to give it a shot thanks for all the comments about them. I don't think I would have looked at them if it was for this thread.

I have a cross body strap screwed in to the tripod mount for the R6 with big lenses, but for when I am using the RP I have a PD wrist strap for a bit of security. It is handy and unobtrusive.

I use a wrist strap I made from paracord with peak design anchors. I do not like neck straps, When not in use I carry them in a sling bag or backpack.

wrist straps.jpeg
cam-wrist-straps3.jpg

I'm not keen on a regular strap. I don't like the weight on the back of my neck. I have tried over a shoulder and under the other arm but that needs a very long strap and it can swing around a lot.

Currently I use the camera bag shoulder style with a shortish strap and the camera strap around my neck as usual and the camera sits on top of the bag so the bag takes the weight. Also its easy to tuck the camera away in bad weather or on the move. Its easy to get it out as everything is previously in possession
I'm not fond of neck-straps either. I chose to go with the SPIDER Camera Holster as it puts the weight at the hips or on a backpack shoulder strap as an option. The attachment will allow you to mount on a tripod but locks firmly in the holster shoe. You could add a tether as security if you feel it necessary. I only use neck-straps in our helicopters and also a tether to the helicopter for safety. Offers many options.

I agree. Use a strap of some sort or take out accident insurance. I have mine on a strap and I still worry.

If the first line of safety is to use a strap,, I suggest the second line is to not put your expensive gear in an unkonwn precarious spot where it might not be so secure. There's a happy ending but on Easter Sunday walking through the kitchen of my daughter's house with the R6 and 24-105L and RF-EF adapter after shooting some grandkid portraits, the wife needed a quick hand. I put the gear on top of the fridge thinking no little ones will grab it from there. Within 2 minutes, daughter opens door of fridge which I now realize is quite thick, not like the one I have at home. R6 and lens crash to the floor and I assume that at least one is now a paper weight. But I can't find any evidence. Everything works as before. I thought the focus was off but careful anaylsis with a focus chart showed that it's as good as ever. I'm not a rookie and should know better, but it happened and I don't mind being lucky. But prefer being more careful.
Oh my gosh! I would have stroked out and been on the floor too along with the camera/lens. Glad that everything seems to be okay.

This thread, and a healthy dose of caution (read: paranoia) cost me nearly $400 in insurance on my R6 body and two most expensive lenses. LOL

As a side note to anyone wishing to purchase Canon's Care Pak on multiple items, I advise doing it on one item at a time because after the purchase, you must then register the Care Pak service just as you do the equipment, only it's attached to the individual item. Their email acknowledgements do not say WHICH item the service corresponds to, so you have to figure it out on your own if you buy multiples like I did. Buying them and registering individually would be much easier.

Never ceases to amaze me when watching some YouTube videos how many are walking around with the camera just held in their hands and no straps of any kind. I suppose some are sponsored but it still seems crazy to me. The supplied Canon straps are very narrow and extremely uncomfortable though and I put it through a wider strap for the neck area. Currently have an AirStrap on order which seems to have some really good padding.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back