Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Greg Sinclair
City/State
Telford
In your hands you will be holding upwards of £5000 of equipment. Even the lowest cost R series camera and RF lens is still about £2000.

I have seen, owners with lesser cameras, equipment being hand held whist leaning over the side of a ship, a bridge, or just standing still in doors on a hard floor, without a strap. All it needs is an accidental nudge and your camera has gone for ever. At best it hits the floor most likely lens first. Have you tried dropping over 1Kg of delicate soft aluminium, plastic and glass from a metre high to see what happens? Be sure it will make you cry.

All cameras have provision for a strap, even a compact has facility for a lanyard. Use it or lose it

A few days ago I had a 100-400 tele /1.4X TC detach unexpectedly from the R6. Fortunately the strap(which includes a safety tether) kept the camera from the floor and I was gripping the lens barrel, so nothing bad happened. Next time I’ll pay more attention to the clicks when mounting lenses.

I use a Black Rapid strap when hiking and in the precarious situations mentioned above. However, when mostly stationary and from my car I do not attach the strap. I must admit I do not like the standard neck straps.

A few days ago I had a 100-400 tele /1.4X TC detach unexpectedly from the R6. Fortunately the strap(which includes a safety tether) kept the camera from the floor and I was gripping the lens barrel, so nothing bad happened. Next time I’ll pay more attention to the clicks when mounting lenses.
Ooooo, close call. Bet it made your heart miss a beat

I use a Black Rapid strap when hiking and in the precarious situations mentioned above. However, when mostly stationary and from my car I do not attach the strap. I must admit I do not like the standard neck straps.
I'm not keen on a regular strap. I don't like the weight on the back of my neck. I have tried over a shoulder and under the other arm but that needs a very long strap and it can swing around a lot.

Currently I use the camera bag shoulder style with a shortish strap and the camera strap around my neck as usual and the camera sits on top of the bag so the bag takes the weight. Also its easy to tuck the camera away in bad weather or on the move. Its easy to get it out as everything is previously in possession

I use the Peak Design Slide and hand clutch for double insurance. The clutch gives added stability as well. The Slide adjusts in length instantly and can be used as a neck or shoulder strap. It’s made of webbing like a seat belt and can be attached and unattached from the camera quickly.

I use the Peak Design Slide and hand clutch for double insurance. The clutch gives added stability as well. The Slide adjusts in length instantly and can be used as a neck or shoulder strap. It’s made of webbing like a seat belt and can be attached and unattached from the camera quickly.
I just watched their video. I might invest in one

If the first line of safety is to use a strap,, I suggest the second line is to not put your expensive gear in an unkonwn precarious spot where it might not be so secure. There's a happy ending but on Easter Sunday walking through the kitchen of my daughter's house with the R6 and 24-105L and RF-EF adapter after shooting some grandkid portraits, the wife needed a quick hand. I put the gear on top of the fridge thinking no little ones will grab it from there. Within 2 minutes, daughter opens door of fridge which I now realize is quite thick, not like the one I have at home. R6 and lens crash to the floor and I assume that at least one is now a paper weight. But I can't find any evidence. Everything works as before. I thought the focus was off but careful anaylsis with a focus chart showed that it's as good as ever. I'm not a rookie and should know better, but it happened and I don't mind being lucky. But prefer being more careful.

If the first line of safety is to use a strap,, I suggest the second line is to not put your expensive gear in an unkonwn precarious spot where it might not be so secure. There's a happy ending but on Easter Sunday walking through the kitchen of my daughter's house with the R6 and 24-105L and RF-EF adapter after shooting some grandkid portraits, the wife needed a quick hand. I put the gear on top of the fridge thinking no little ones will grab it from there. Within 2 minutes, daughter opens door of fridge which I now realize is quite thick, not like the one I have at home. R6 and lens crash to the floor and I assume that at least one is now a paper weight. But I can't find any evidence. Everything works as before. I thought the focus was off but careful anaylsis with a focus chart showed that it's as good as ever. I'm not a rookie and should know better, but it happened and I don't mind being lucky. But prefer being more careful.
I would have had a heart attack. :eek:

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back