View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

woolno

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
David F Woolnough
Any thoughts on a good flash diffuser for use with an RF 100 mm Macro on an R7, using, probably, a Speedlite?

I think it depends on what you are trying to do. Product photography, use a lightbox. Indoors, bounce it. If it has to be straight-on, the best option is probably a speedlight softbox. What are you shooting?

Any thoughts on a good flash diffuser for use with an RF 100 mm Macro on an R7, using, probably, a Speedlite?
As you have not said what you are doing with it, I assume it is macro. I built myself some homemade diffusers out of 1 inch PVC water pipe and eBay bought diffuser material. I have my speedlights on stands, off camera behind the said diffusers and they work a treat. I made them this size to be able to stand on the floor next to a table for Macro or stand on the table for Product photography with my Godox DE 400 strobes. I built four of these for way less than $100.
Homemade diffusers 2.jpg

Get a collapsible lightbox. It's super useful for putting even light on something small and also having a totally clean background. They often come with a shiny floor, so you can get a reflective effect if you want. Inexpensive and easy to store.

IMO they are even better with off-camera flash because you can get the light stronger on one side for a bit more of an interesting look, but you can certainly use them with hotshot flash.

I use on-camera flash with a diffuser and snoot for hand-held photography of bugs. That fan-shaped white sheet on the lens is translucent plastic. Works great.

SL_04515 Diffuser and snoot.jpg
  • Canon EOS REBEL SL1
  • EF-S18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
  • 33.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/640 sec
  • ISO 200

Here is a honeybee taken with a fan-shaped diffuser and snoot similar to the one depicted above.

R5_A5113 Honeybee.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • EF100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM
  • 100.0 mm
  • ƒ/16
  • 1/200 sec
  • ISO 200

And a Yellowjacket.
R5_A7829 Yellow Jacket.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • EF100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM
  • 100.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/200 sec
  • ISO 160

Last edited:
If the flash is used in macro photography, most of the macro photographers/photography YouTubers (Michael Widell, Stewart Wood, Jamie Spensley) recommend Cygnustech diffuser and Godox V350 (GN 36, manual mode, iso 100, 1/4-1/8 power output), in 1x - 2x magnification

Recently, they switched to the Olympus camera because it has in-camera focus stacking with flash and higher overall magnification.......

You can find their camera gears, setup, flash comparison, and diffuser comparison on YouTube videos

I use on-camera flash with a diffuser and snoot for hand-held photography of bugs. That fan-shaped white sheet on the lens is translucent plastic. Works great.

View attachment 21998
Love your diffuser Ed. It's amazing what we can come up with. Necessity is the mother of invention.

Archibald's rig looks great! Totally portable. My thoughts about the lightbox were not aimed at nature shots, obviously, but rather more technical macro shots.

BTW in-camera focus stacking is really neat. I'm not sure when Canon started adding it as a feature but the R3 and R7 have it. I haven't tried but I believe it will work with some Canon flashes, too. I know I can get 10~15 fps out of my 430EXii at low power.

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back